• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Going to Panama; need advice.

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Team Deniz

stoked to get soaked
Mar 7, 2011
Hi everybody!
I just found out I'll be spending 5 weeks in southern Panama this summer. I've been accepted for an internship at the Inter-American Tropical Tuna Commission's early life-history laboratory. I'll be helping maintain captive stocks of algae, rotifers and yellowfin tuna, while living on site. The trip starts at the end of july and before I go, I have a few questions for you all... especially my Panamanian brothers and sisters who like to stick fish....

1. Is there anywhere between Panama City and Pedasi where I can purchase spearfishing gear? I don't plan to bring anything heavy/big that I can get when I'm there. I'd like to buy lead weights for sure, hopefully some long free-dive fins, possibly a wetsuit, and maybe, just maybe a big F'n cannon of a speargun.... It all depends on availability and price. I have the feeling I might be lining up on fish that are bigger than I've ever seen in the wild before. This brings me to my next question....

2. Is my gear up to snuff? Right now, I have:
-a 110cm Picasso Scorpion Railgun with two bands, 1x20mm + 1x18mm
-2 x 50 ft float lines with heavy-duty swivels and clips
-an inflatable float about 3ft long x 8 inches in diameter

I plan to pick up a bunch of extra shafts at the very least, preferably in Panama rather than before I leave. The less weight I have to travel with, the better.

3. Am I correct in my understanding that there is no fishing license required, and that all but a few species are fair game? Which species are off-limits?

4. Do you live near Pedasi? Want to team up for spearfishing when I'm there?

Thanks spearos...I'm obviously very excited and I want to go well prepared. Your advice is greatly appreciated. :D

Last edited:
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT