• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Golden Evening

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

shaneshac

FIN TRASHER
Oct 8, 2002
:D Hiya,

After meeting with Ian at 6 o'clock we went our to detach mole for a short evening dive...

It was a good evening dive ;)

The first dive of the day. I dropped to about 14m and waiting in about 10m viz. I saw a big school of batifish (Boops boops) running around and over my head a huge bass flew past at 100kmh.

I waited....waited... and to the left a big head appeared. It was the Gilthead. AS i looked at it it turned away swimming slowly. I raised the mamba and as soon as the fish was in the sites, SBBBBOOOOMMM

Shaft entered behind right pectoral fin and exited at the left gillplate behind the eye.

In total, 2 bass, 1 dorada (Gilthead), 1 hurta, 5 or 6 sargo for the short dive :)

DSC01425.jpg

DSC01427.jpg

Last edited:
Great fish shaca,we haven't seen any bream this year yet.How does gibraltar fish in the winter months of Feb,March and April???

It would be nice to break up the long english winter with some warmer water spearfishing.

HAHAHA

Glowworm,

Gib's water is still 14C. In Feb, March and April it is usually 12C

Warm water spearing only appears in our calender one month of the year if all the conditions are right.

The strong currents coming in from the Atlantic do not allow the water to heat up.

There are good fish though ;)

You lucky bloke 14 c in Feb it's about 6c at best here.April may touch 8c and May when we normally start it's about 10c.With a 5mm suit 10c is o.k. for about 2 hours max.Would be nice to do some spearing in Febuary without travelling too far.What fish species do you get in these months??

Do you have many fishing(spearfishing) laws or restrictions in Gibraltar??

Fishing is good year round here with different species appearing as the summer approaches. The standard breams and bass are here all year and very entertaining.

10C in a 5mm suit BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

shaneshac said:
Fishing is good year round here with different species appearing as the summer approaches. The standard breams and bass are here all year and very entertaining.

10C in a 5mm suit BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

yeah thats what i was thinking god he must have big brass ones rofl

island_sands said:
yeah thats what i was thinking god he must have big brass ones rofl
LOL perhaps we should have a poll to guess what thickness suit you dive in in the tropics ;)

Alison said:
LOL perhaps we should have a poll to guess what thickness suit you dive in in the tropics ;)

!!! i am never telling you about my thermals again!! rofl rofl

Not big brass ones just normal.5 mm cressi competition suit keeps me toasty warm at 10 c it's normally my hands and feet that get cold first.

How do you guy's transport your guns on planes and what do customes say??
That could scupper any plans to go anywhere winter spearing. :waterwork

Maybe you lucky tropical spearo's should come and try out the U.K in may.If you thinks thats mad you should check out the spearo's from norway or canada. Now thats BIG BRASS ONE'S rofl rofl rofl

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT