• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Gone to Baja Trip report for Thanksgiving

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

gonetobaja

Nov 26, 2003
Hello Deeper blue divers,

had a great time with the family in mexico during Thanks Giving. We also got a chance to head out to the islands for a day and get a nice stringer of yellow snapper. I love the taste of yellow snapper! Its also shrimp season right now, We have been getting some jumbo prawns from some of the local fishermen. Still some grouper in the area also. We also saw some whale sharks, not big ones though. Strange to see them here this time of year.

Vis 5meers
temp 3mill wetsuit
wind 10-20mph

I havent posted any good pics up in a while so here goes....
P1010102.jpg

P1010106.jpg

P1010087.jpg

P1010092.jpg

P1010082.jpg

P1010078.jpg

P1010076.jpg

P1010075.jpg

P1010069.jpg

P1010065.jpg

Ill post another trip up next week.

GTB
http://www.gonetobaja.com

Reactions: Oldsarge
Very Nice Dale, those yellow pargos are very good eating. One of our best meals in 2006 was made with one of this snapers.

We had VERY strong wind last week. Wensday was something incredible.

I was at the Pacific and we don't remember a Norte like this one in the last ten years. It was the same in Santa Rosalia, well the wind still blowing hard down here.

Wish you good lock with the nortes next week.:)

No problemo Poco,

I plan on staying close to shore this week. The nortes have been slamming the area for a week here also. I am hoping it will lay down for the dead tide.

To whoever moved this thread and made my pics appear I want to say thanks! I could not figure out how to do it.

Hey deep thinker, the only reason my shots look good is because I didnt post up the ones with tail and gut shots....rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl

To be honest, on this trip I switched from break away tips to the regular double flopper rock tips and was getting great shots. I think that the breakaway tips when they bend just a little it throws off your shot.

GTB
http://www.gonetobaja.com

Most satisfactory, Dale. Charles and I are looking forward to being down that way again. My only hope is that we get some decent weather when I have time to dive. Haven't had the time all autumn. Sucks! Do you have the half-moon dates for May? And what will the temp be by then? Still 5mm or will it have warmed up to 3mm?

Looks like a great trip, nice fish bet they were great eating!! I found that break away tips are less acurate too, i think it is because they are not on tightly enough and the slight sway when firing makes them less accurate, would need confirmation from someone with more speartime though.

Oldsarge said:
Most satisfactory, Dale. Charles and I are looking forward to being down that way again. My only hope is that we get some decent weather when I have time to dive. Haven't had the time all autumn. Sucks! Do you have the half-moon dates for May? And what will the temp be by then? Still 5mm or will it have warmed up to 3mm?

Como Esta Sarge,

I dont have the exact dates for next year yet. I am waiting to get the new tide charts for next year. It would be great if I knew where to get them for the next year. May should be a 3 mill month. I have been doing alot of diving at the islands this winter and I am finding that even though there is a greater chance of wind there are still major amounts of fish. I am leaving again on Friday and will post up another report as soon as I get back.

GTB

Craig Thailand said:
Looks like a great trip, nice fish bet they were great eating!! I found that break away tips are less acurate too, i think it is because they are not on tightly enough and the slight sway when firing makes them less accurate, would need confirmation from someone with more speartime though.

I did not use any break away tips on my last trip. I hit every fish solid. With the double flooper they hooked up pretty good. I used to be dead set on slip tips. I was using AB biller tips on Riffe guns. I liked the AB biller design, I like the Riffe Ice pick better but its is pretty expensive and I use mine when I am going for blue water stuff. It runs straight. But when I am in the rocks I seem to somehow hit one at some point or another. This would bend it just enough so that combined with the loosness of the tip it would throw off my shot (I think) . I have had shots dead on and missed because of what I suspect to be a loose or slightly bent slip tip. I am going to try only double floopers on this next trip and see if I get a super high hit ratio again.

GTB

gonetobaja said:
To whoever moved this thread and made my pics appear I want to say thanks! I could not figure out how to do it.

You're welcome. The problemo still exists about the GTB gear that's still sitting on your counter instead of in the hands of the latest Contest winner. :hmm

I knew I would face retrobution from the mighty Icarus for being lame on that sooner or later, I have them in my office now for the holidays so I can shoot them out. Send me a pm with your address (againrofl ) and I will send them out tomorrow with the amazon order.

Drove by Sven point the other day.....yep thats right we still call it Sven point.:friday

P1010009.jpg

After this day I kinda knew that hiding in the murk wouldnt help me. It didnt help this guy.....:martial

I prefer my slip points always, but specially hunting in rocks, caves, etc. It is the only way to go to avoid spears to be badly bent and many times left totally unusable. Try the ones depicted below. They are designed specially for rocks but they are good for (almost) everything. I wouldnt use them for a big tuna, though.
RockPointBreakAway.jpg

Looks like the half-moon
in May will start either the 8th or the 22nd.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT