• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Good batter for fish.

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
My Grandma is 94, still drinks wine and sherry, reads 3 hours a day, speaks more sense than me!!! Hope it is genetic.......:)

As someone who batters and sells fish (and oysters, scallops, mussels, bananas, etc) to the public I can tell you what works well and is healthy too. And our customers tell us its good too.

We cook in rice bran oil. We chose this product for a number of reasons - it has a very high smoke point, it is non-animal, it is recommended by the New Zealand Heart Foundation. Also, although it is more expensive than other oils it lasts longer so ends up being around the same cost as less healthy alternatives. If I was cooking for myself I think I would prefer olive oil preferably from a local plantation. I am sure Italian olive oil is just as good if not better but it makes sense to buy local.

As for batter we use a very simple recipe - flour (highest grade), baking powder, a very tiny amount of yolkine colouring(basically concentrated egg yolk), and some water.
IMHO it is best for the batter not to have too much taste as it is the food inside that you want to taste not the batter.
My favourite battered food, SALMON yuuummmmmm!!

Reactions: Mr. X
I've never heard of it. Our local markets carry a wide variety but not that one.

Reactions: naiad
It is relatively new to our country but so is cooking fat/oil not from an animal. Its RICE BRAN oil. So I guess that means it comes from rice. Or maybe I got it wrong and it is actually mice brain oil in which case I think we might be in trouble.

Reactions: Oldsarge
I googled Rice Bran Oil and found, to my surprise, that it is a California product, carefully formulated to turn an agricultural waste product into money. Remarkable what the UC can come up with.

There was no response to mice brain oil, fortunately.

The brand we use sources their oil from Thailand. Agricultural waste product? No, that is called 'Cheese'.:)

"Rice has been and continues to be the largest source of human nutrition. Rice Bran Oil comes from the thin brown coating between the rice kernel and the protective husk. This coating called bran contains valuable nutritious components such as proteins, vitamins, minerals and lecithin. Oil is extracted from the bran. During the extraction process oil is carefully separated with the highly valued vitamins intact. As a result, the oil is naturally fortified with an abundance of vitamin E, gamma oryzanol and the essential fatty acids
Frying
Rice bran oil performs well as frying oil. Its mild flavour does not overwhelm the food so it is the perfect choice for frying applications that are flavour sensitive. Compared to most other oils Rice Bran Oil is low in linolenic acid and yet retains up to 20% saturated fat. It is for this reason, tests have shown that Rice Bran Oil has a fry life and storage life superior to most other oils. Rice Bran Oil does not require hydrogenation. It is also free of the undesirable trans fatty acid.
Stir-Frying
The major objective in stir-frying is to cook the food without destroying or overwhelming the food's natural flavours. This requires great skill in the selection of the temperature of stir-frying, stirring intensity and time. The choice of frying oil also affects the quality of the stir-fry. Since Rice Bran Oil does not overwhelm the flavour of the food and does not break down easily at high temperatures it is the oil of choice for stir-frying.
Snacks
Rice Bran Oil is used for snack coating. With its high level of naturally occurring antioxidants it can be used to encapsulate the snack and assist to preserve it from degradation.
Salad Oil
Rice Bran Oil being mild in aroma and flavour is a great alternative for consumers who find the intensely flavoured and aromatized oils such as olive and peanut oils overwhelming. Its stability makes it a good salad dressing carrier preserving the flavours in most dressing formulas.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Other Information
Shelf life: 1 year after manufacture date
NUTRITION INFORMATION
1. Acid value: 0. 2 max
2. Peroxide value: 1. 5 max
3. Protein: 0 g
4. Mono-unsaturated: 6. 0 g
5. Polyunsaturated: 5. 5 g
6. Saturated Fat: 2. 5 g
7. Vitamin E: 1. 2 mg
8. Gamma Oryzanol: 8. 4 mg
9. Cholesterol: 0 g
10. Sodium: 0 g

When we fry fish which we rarely do i use pancake mix as the batter. I just dip the filet in beaten egg and cover with dry pancake batter and fry its excellent.
For healthy fish, i consider frying fish in any oil unhealthy, try putting cornflakes into the blender and grind them into crumbs. dip fliets in egg white and then cover with the cornflakes crumbs on both sides. Put in a glass pan and bake at 475% for 16 minutes. This is excellent on all white meated fish.

The brand we use sources their oil from Thailand. Agricultural waste product? No, that is called 'Cheese'.:)

"Rice has been and continues to be the largest source of human nutrition. Rice Bran Oil comes from the thin brown coating between the rice kernel and the protective husk. This coating called bran contains valuable nutritious components such as proteins, vitamins, minerals and lecithin. Oil is extracted from the bran. During the extraction process oil is carefully separated with the highly valued vitamins intact. As a result, the oil is naturally fortified with an abundance of vitamin E, gamma oryzanol and the essential fatty acids
Frying
Rice bran oil performs well as frying oil. Its mild flavour does not overwhelm the food so it is the perfect choice for frying applications that are flavour sensitive. Compared to most other oils Rice Bran Oil is low in linolenic acid and yet retains up to 20% saturated fat. It is for this reason, tests have shown that Rice Bran Oil has a fry life and storage life superior to most other oils. Rice Bran Oil does not require hydrogenation. It is also free of the undesirable trans fatty acid.
Stir-Frying
The major objective in stir-frying is to cook the food without destroying or overwhelming the food's natural flavours. This requires great skill in the selection of the temperature of stir-frying, stirring intensity and time. The choice of frying oil also affects the quality of the stir-fry. Since Rice Bran Oil does not overwhelm the flavour of the food and does not break down easily at high temperatures it is the oil of choice for stir-frying.
Snacks
Rice Bran Oil is used for snack coating. With its high level of naturally occurring antioxidants it can be used to encapsulate the snack and assist to preserve it from degradation.
Salad Oil
Rice Bran Oil being mild in aroma and flavour is a great alternative for consumers who find the intensely flavoured and aromatized oils such as olive and peanut oils overwhelming. Its stability makes it a good salad dressing carrier preserving the flavours in most dressing formulas.
Other Information
Shelf life: 1 year after manufacture date
NUTRITION INFORMATION
1. Acid value: 0. 2 max
2. Peroxide value: 1. 5 max
3. Protein: 0 g
4. Mono-unsaturated: 6. 0 g
5. Polyunsaturated: 5. 5 g
6. Saturated Fat: 2. 5 g
7. Vitamin E: 1. 2 mg
8. Gamma Oryzanol: 8. 4 mg
9. Cholesterol: 0 g
10. Sodium: 0 g
No need for such crude information on what we eat -- try this page instead: Nutrition Facts and Analysis for Oil, vegetable, rice bran

e.g. Rice bran oil

Fats & Fatty Acids
Amounts Per Selected Serving %DV
Total Fat 218 g 335%
Saturated Fat 43.0 g 215%
4:00 0.0 mg
6:00 0.0 mg
8:00 0.0 mg
10:00 0.0 mg
12:00 0.0 mg
13:00 ~
14:00 1526 mg
15:00 ~
16:00 36841 mg
17:00 ~
18:00 3488 mg
19:00 ~
20:00 ~
22:00 ~
24:00:00 ~
Monounsaturated Fat 85.7 g
14:01 ~
15:01 ~
16:1 undifferentiated 436 mg
16:1 c ~
16:1 t ~
17:01 ~
18:1 undifferentiated 85229 mg
18:1 c ~
18:1 t ~
20:01 0.0 mg
22:1 undifferentiated 0.0 mg
22:1 c ~
22:1 t ~
24:1 c ~
Polyunsaturated Fat 76.3 g
16:2 undifferentiated ~
18:2 undifferentiated 72816 mg
18:2 n-6 c,c ~
18:2 c,t ~
18:2 t,c ~
18:2 t,t ~
18:2 i ~
18:2 t not further defined ~
18:03 3488 mg
18:3 n-3, c,c,c ~
18:3 n-6, c,c,c ~
18:4 undifferentiated 0.0 mg
20:2 n-6 c,c ~
20:3 undifferentiated ~
20:3 n-3 ~
20:3 n-6 ~
20:4 undifferentiated 0.0 mg
20:4 n-3 ~
20:4 n-6 ~
20:5 n-3 0.0 mg
22:02 ~
22:5 n-3 0.0 mg
22:6 n-3 0.0 mg
Total trans fatty acids ~
Total trans-monoenoic fatty acids ~
Total trans-polyenoic fatty acids ~
Total Omega-3 fatty acids 3488 mg
Total Omega-6 fatty acids 72816 mg

rofl

Not much Omega-3 vs. Omega-6 though :( - but, if eaten with fish....:) ....deep joy.

Last edited:
Chocolate dipped oysters? Sweetening up your aphrodesiac? Hmmmm . . .

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT