• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Good for blue Water hunting?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

cesare

Mar 20, 2006
Hey guys...

Several months ago I was worried about if the riffe NO Ka Oi speargun was useful among reefs. It resulted very well, a little bit overpowered, but with excelent results.

Now I have another concern, I am starting in blue water hunting and i was wondering if this speargun had enough power for the big stuff.

best regards...

Greetings,

i forgot to add, I use a 5/16" shaft and three 9/16" bands...

Thanks,

cesare,
im not the authority on blue water hunting, maybe someone like miles would be more useful, but in my opiopn i think you'll be fine :)

Thanks mate...

I might upgrade it and put three 5/8" power bands, but ¡´m not confident that it might go through a big game fish. It is said that the true blue water riffe spearguns are the island and the blue water...

What kind of fish you will be after, and were are you from.
Try your no ka oi the way it is, dont overpower it.
The first time you feel is not big enough for a blue water fish,
then try for the upgrades, until then, dont worry too much.

Hi Robert,

I live in venezuela, wich is famous for the Grand Slam. I would be mainly after billfish and tunas, they can get huge!!! (those are my main target), there are also wahoos and mahi mahis. No one does blue water spearfishing to get advice from, so I am starting basiclly from cero. I read the blue water hunting and freedinving book by Terry Mass, and thats all the info I got.

I have tried the no ka oi gun in reef and it worked very well, I am afraid that it might not have thre power enough for put a spear across a big buck.

Thanks for the reply...

Best Regards

You would be amazed of how many people had done blue water hunting there.
I have been at el Farallon looking for wahoo(peto,sierra canalera) and Cuberas(guasinucos), you should go there first, and I also went to la Guaira bank looking for bill fish, and some 10 miles farther away looking for the arrivazon, the Atlantic yellow fin tunas, it was a big ocean, and blue water hunting is not as easy as trolling for fish.
You got a good book, I can help you with all the info you need.
Go with the no ka oi, and get a slip tip for it, if your bands are too old, get new ones.
Mucha suerte chamo

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT