• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Good meal or cool picture? what would you do?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

harrychamas

Nov 11, 2011
Hay guys

So we have all seen spearo's posing with the giant fish that they have caught. and those of us who have a similar picture ourselfs are surely proud of it. me included.

I mostly hunt reef and have no experience with blue water fish at the moment, but from my persepective if you are realy hunting for a nice fish to eat then the biggest fish around is the one you would be avoiding. bigger fish have more toxins, murcury, and the meat is tougher.

I think all hunters have what i call a Jack London side to them, even if we only admit it to ourself there is somthing exhilirating about the hunt and kill. and the bigger the fish the more excited our inner cave man gets. hence the big fish.

I was just wondering what other people thoughts were on this or if there is any other reason to go for the biggest fish around than our "primal instinct".

Reactions: foxfish
It's all about the "steps".

Step one, I want to shoot a fish.
Step two, I want to shoot lots of fish.
Step three, I want to shoot the biggest fish.
Step four, I want to see you shoot a fish.
Sep five, I don't care if I shoot fish, I just like spearfishing.
Step six, I want to contribute back to spearfishing.

Where are each of us at? Most folks struggle to get past step three.

Sharkey

ye i think step 5 is a constant for most divers, iv got to step 2 then asked mayself whats the point in shooting the biggest fish.

H'mm. I've beem hunting & spearfishing (in orgs/clubs) for over 4 decades now (for good or for bad I'm a "grey beard"). IMO missing the steps doesn't fulfil the journey. If you haven't taken the step one ,two or three or four you can never understand what it is to reach step five or six.

Sharkey

I think I agree, but I also know that I'm not a true spearfisher at heart. I see it more as an excuse to spend the extra hour in the water [emoji16]

What a great question!
There is a lot I would like to say but, no being the best writer, I will have abbreviate my answer considerably!

I think a lot depends on your .... incentive, perspective & experience ( & maybe age?)

My main priority has always been food based - I say "based" because I like to cook for other people, or I like to impress folk with food.. that is my main 'long standing hobby'!
However, of course I love spearfishing ... spearfishing is my second 'long standing hobby' :)
On that basis I hunt for the best eating fish, not the biggest or 'most impressive to others' fish!

Perhaps when I was 20 years old I would seek the biggest fish available & then (if I caught a big one) enjoy the challenge of making that big fish into a family meal.
Nowadays I seek the premiere eating fish of a size that is most desirable in flavour rather than the biggest.
Unfortunately.. in reality I take what I can as the choice has drastically reduced :(

Back in the day, when fish were far more plentiful, I can honestly say that I would rarely shoot at anything that I did not want to eat.

For me personally, I only kill fish that I intend to eat, the idea of spearing a really big fish stirs up the primal instincts in the back of my mind but I am not a slave to my genetics, fundamentally I believe that everything has a right to live and for me, the only legitimate reason to kill something is for food...................... probably sounds a bit wacky but hey, there you go:D

Yes, step 5 is where I am at. I won't shoot a fish that cannot be eaten that same evening.

I think most guys that have been spearing for more than a couple years will likely be at step 5 but unlikely they would pass up a nice big fish if the opportunity presented itself, after all, years of training have prepared us for this :D

...the idea of spearing a really big fish stirs up the primal instincts in the back of my mind .....fundamentally I believe that everything has a right to live

Hi Pinniped72 I can relate to both these sentiments. While I do feel some attraction to the idea of hunting a big fish in deep water, possibly with additional hazards like sharks etc. to consider (the 'Jack London' side as it was referred to in the origional post), and while I certainly can relate to the mission and mode of spearfishing, the latter sentiment overrides for me: nothing needs to die for my enjoyment. I totally agree with the sustainability and selectivity argument for spearfishing, but ultimately one needs to choose if killing something can be part of ones hobby. In a strange way I almost regrest that it can't be for me.

I totally agree with the sustainability and selectivity argument for spearfishing, but ultimately one needs to choose if killing something can be part of ones hobby. In a strange way I almost regrest that it can't be for me.
I see what your saying and most people are of the same opinion, but even if killing is not a part of you hobby, its a part of your life. Every time you sit down to eat meat your responsible for that animals death, its just you can detach yourself from it because you don't do it or even see it.
Ye speros enjoy there hobby but they can't detach themselves the way most western people do now, i think every meat eater should know what it means to kill, clean and prepare any meat they would be willing to buy from the supermarket, otherwise you are burying your head in the sand to the true consequences of your life style.
and if that seems impossible then a person who is honest to themselves would be vegetarian.

Reactions: Erik and Pinniped72
...and if that seems impossible then a person who is honest to themselves would be vegetarian.

Totally agree. I am fully aware of my double standard morals here. I am not a vegetarian, but I really should be and I agree: if one eats meat, one should be able to kill the animal. For me that's a process though and one day I hope to live a 'harmless' life. Its a step by step journey, and for now I do still eat meat occasionally (i.e. I am responsible for killing), but I do not enjoy the moment of actually doing the killing. Its selfish and hypocritical, but I do believe that killing does something to people. For spearos maybe not noticeable, but for people having jobs in slaughter houses I am convinced that it leaves something behind. And you are right, even more reason to become a vegetarian and not leave it up to others to destroy their souls in industrial meat production. At the moment I just much rather would see the Tuna or Marlin or whatever amazing creature gracefully escape than shoot a spear through its head and brain it as the final objective of my leisure time. And by that I don't judge any spearo, its just my own personal preference - well, and dilemma.

I've been at step 5 for some time, but sure spent a lot of years at stages 2 and 3. Something like "if it moves, kill it!" Took me a while to realize how damaging that attitude could be to fish populations. Today, as long as dinner is in the boat, I'd rather play with them. Mostly somebody else puts dinner in the boat and I'm fine with that.

To the posters original questions, smaller is usually better eating for many reasons. I think testosterone plays a part in the "primal instinct". Young guys tend to be the biggest killers and get much less so with age (I'm 65).

Reactions: prospector
P1030980.jpg gab_dive2jpg.jpg P1040776.jpg P1030980.jpg I suspect it depends where and what fish r available, I have fished mostly in Cuba and when you realise as a tourist u r privilege 2 have a speargun as its a mean to feed your family there u tend 2 think of the village who will have something fresh and wortwhile to eat for dinner. Going for the biggest is no brainer there, however if I am alone and only the wife to impress nothing over 2-3 lbs she is a big fan as I am of cevische and sashimi. My daughter enjoying lobster sashimigab_dive2jpg.jpg fishing for lobster on the P1040776.jpg reef

Last edited:
Reactions: foxfish
Spearfishing is a bit like golf. And the same progression as in the number 1 to 5 happens.
Just change fish size to distance you hit the ball.

i dont know hank49, it seems to me like landing big fish has more to do with having a boat and a good spot than being a "good" spearfisherman. i mean you could have the best breath hold and technique in the world but if you spear in liverpool youd be lucky to even get anything.
But the topic of the thred is what is the point in going for the biggest fish you can. It seems to me like the answer is bravado. unless you have a hungry village to feed of cause like poildeq.

i dont know hank49, it seems to me like landing big fish has more to do with having a boat and a good spot than being a "good" spearfisherman. i mean you could have the best breath hold and technique in the world but if you spear in liverpool youd be lucky to even get anything.
But the topic of the thred is what is the point in going for the biggest fish you can. It seems to me like the answer is bravado. unless you have a hungry village to feed of cause like poildeq.

300 yard drives to beginner golfers are like big fish. Sometimes, like in finding big, dumb fish, you luck out and hit one way beyond your average.
As you progress in golf, you realize that there are only 14 long drive holes in 18. If you're good, your score is 80 or below. It's those short shots....or little fish....that really count....and are the best eating.
Sorry for the confusion. I agree with your first post.

Reactions: Erik
I attained Step seven in another sport...

Step Seven, I reached my ultimate potential and need another challenge...

So I reset my reality and now im happy Spearfishing...

Step two.5
[emoji2] I want to shoot lots of bigger fish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT