• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Good Morning!

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

John A

Sep 15, 2004
Finally the water is starting to warm up (to me at least) and the winds are calming down in the morning making for great swimming weather. So this morning, 6 am, I throw on the Speedo and skin top, grab my long fins/mask/snorkel and head for my favorite little rock just off the beach in about 15’ of water. Sun has not yet peaked over the horizon but the sky is already turning pink/orange and there are virtually no clouds. Water is glassy calm and clear. As I swim out to the “rock” I notice more bait fish are showing up than in previous days. When I get to the rock I am greeted by the usual small fish, juvenile angels, a small spotted moray and a squirrel fish or two. I do a few drops and as I am just about to pull off the bottom, out of the corner of my eye I see a silver flash. I turn and am greeted by a 5’ long tarpon followed by a second 4 footer. They stay with me to the surface and after taking a breath I follow them. I almost seems that they are letting me stay with them. I drop down just below the surface and swim with the 2 tarpon and they lead me into a school of at least 15 tarpon! At least 3 are 5’ or larger and the rest are 3 to 4 footers, totally amazing. At this point the school is swimming circles around me, small groups break off and then rejoin the main group. I just keep breathing up and dropping into the group and doing circles with them. This lasts for just about 5 min. when the group decides to say good bye, and poof, they’re gone!

I hit the surface, the sun is now just above the horizon, a giant orange ball, I look to the north and see the tarpon rolling on the surface about 30 yards away. I do a quick drop down to let a sport fishing boat speed over top of me and I take that as a signal to call it a morning and head in. I love the ocean!

John

Thanks brother, the ocean is a long way from here but you just brought it a little bit closer.

Oh yes, that's why I love this sport!

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT