• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

good place for family snorkeling?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

MyraVan

Oct 18, 2005
I'm not sure this is the right place to ask this, since all the posts I've seen are the "Find a Buddy" rather than "Places to Dive" sort, but I'll give it a go anyway.

I'm not really a freediver, more of a recreational scuba diver, but next spring or summer I'd like to take the family to a nice place where we can all get in the water for some snolkeling. So I'm looking for a place that has the following:

* not too far from the UK, where not too far means no further than the east coast of the US (the Pacific means too long a flight)

* warm water so we can get in the water without wetsuits, or with nothing more than perhaps a shorty

* pretty and plentiful aquatic life, so we can just float on the top and look at the fishies

* other things to do too, like zoos, gardens, playgrounds

* if possible, not too expensive!

Anyone got any recommendations?

Sharm maybe an option? Not sure what the fish life is off the shore though - you may need to go on a snorkelling trip via boat....

The Canaries are good and only a four hour flight from the UK.

Water was 17c when I was there in February, so a wetsuit was required. In the summer, you'll be ok with a shorty. Just don't forget the sunblock for the exposed skin!

I did some diving on Tenerife in the Canaries and wasn't all that impressed with the sea life. Amazing visibility, but lots of bare rocks, with nothing more exciting than some black sea urchins on them... Maybe I was diving in the wrong place? Is there somewhere in the Canaries that has a really good density of sea life?

Sharm El Sheikh, well, that was amazing for sea life. The last time I was there, in 2000, there wasn't much to do when you were out of the water. Are there other things for families to do nowadays? As much as I love the water, I don't think the family will want to spend all their time on the beach.

While in Sharm I went with Emperor Divers and thought they were pretty good. I wouldn't mind snorkeling from a boat, but I wonder if they would let my daughter aboard -- she'll only be 3 years old!

Hmm. Mrs Cornholio and I often go to Lanzarote. We stay in Costa Teguise and I get up early each morning and snorkel off the beach. There has always been plenty to see, although I'm sure there are other places in the world with even more to look at.

This year, our hotel was near to a nice rocky bit of coast. Oodles of different fish, puffers, eels, cuttlefish, octopus, all sorts. Lots of the urchins too of course, and a sandy sea bed at about 50 feet. I swam out quite a way but couldn't find deeper water, but otherwise it's smashing.

Last edited:
MyraVan said:
I'm not sure this is the right place to ask this, since all the posts I've seen are the "Find a Buddy" rather than "Places to Dive" sort, but I'll give it a go anyway.

I'm not really a freediver, more of a recreational scuba diver, but next spring or summer I'd like to take the family to a nice place where we can all get in the water for some snolkeling. So I'm looking for a place that has the following:

* not too far from the UK, where not too far means no further than the east coast of the US (the Pacific means too long a flight)

* warm water so we can get in the water without wetsuits, or with nothing more than perhaps a shorty

* pretty and plentiful aquatic life, so we can just float on the top and look at the fishies

* other things to do too, like zoos, gardens, playgrounds

* if possible, not too expensive!

Anyone got any recommendations?

Charter flights to Maldives take 10 hours.. you can get really good deals now and the snorkelling is unbeatable in terms of safety for kids, clarity, fish life, beaches etc .

MyraVan said:
Ooooh, the Maldives! I've wanted to go there for awhile... I'll look into it.

check this link ;)

loads of articles there, hey! the Seychelles is brilliant for snorkelling too :D

I'd go with the Sharm recomendation also, the snorkelling is really good as long as you stay outside of the Nama bay and Sharm bays themselves, theres usually a coral shelf/ beach that the little ones can snorkel and play in with sandy bottoms and plenty of pretty fish; then just a bit further out the drop offs provide spectacular snorkelling/freediving for everybody too. The good thing is I suppose, that the Red Sea is very salty and gives more than average bouyancy which is nice for the less confident youngsters.
Nama bay has plenty for to keep the family entertained but no theme parks :)
Have a look at this forum, its full of info about hotels resorts etc, all over not just Sharm :)

Has anyone done any snorking in the Caribbean? How is it for families there?

Last edited:
Dear MyraVan,

I have a freediving family. We've been to Bonaire, Caymans and Cozumel. Bonaire is *very* nice for both scuba and freediving. There is a good freediver guide there, Dominique Serafini, who has a website. He should be able to handle your family snorkeling needs. Caymans is fine for snorkeling and with small kids Stingray City will entertain them quite a lot. Cozumel is pretty good for shallow water snorkeling, but the current *can* (personal experience) change a *lot* even in the shallow water and might be a bit much for small mermaids. The Florida Keys, Key West, might be warm, convenient, shallow, calm and satisfactory for family snorkeling.

Warmest regards, Charles Engles

Reactions: Alison
MyraVan said:
Has anyone done any snorking in the Caribbean? How is it for families there?
I'll put in a vote for the Virgin Islands, either U.S. or British. My family went to St. John a year and a half ago, and loved the shallow, snorkel-friendly reefs ...

St. John trip report

Hey Frank-

Thanks for the link to your trip report. It certainly makes St. John sound like a super place to visit! The photos were great. One of the things I hope to do on this snorkel holiday is try out some underwater photography -- for my birthday hubby got me an underwater housing for my little Olympus digital camera. Your photos are very inspirational!

And thanks to everyone who's made suggestions so far. It's giong to be hard to choose a final destination.

Of course, good snorkeling is where you find it. This last summer, we had a great time poking around in coves in Cornwall. Then again the water wasn't *quite* as warm as the Caribbean ...

Right, now I've got it narrowed down to somewhere in the Indian Ocean (Maldives, Seychelles, Mauritius), or somewhere in the Caribbean! Well, at least that's a start. I've got holiday books from the local travel agent and Lonely Planet and Rough Guide books for the various places, and will try to sort something out.

This is cool, I haven't gone anyplace specifically for the good underwater scenery in quite some time. I've tried to fit my diving in with what the other family members were doing, so I've ended up going to places that mostly wouldn't be first choice for underwater activities, but were a compromise between my desire to be under water and my family's desire to do fun things up top. But my hubby seems to like the idea of a snorkeling holiday, so this is going to be just great!

Do let us know where you end up. We're always on the lookout for new family-friendly dive/snorkel locations (though given that we're eight time zones to the west of you, the Indian Ocean is just about on the opposite site of Earth from us ...)

Any places I can go for

1. <£500 (we're skint)
2. all-inclusive (flights, food, accomodation, equipment, etc)
3. abroad (out of the UK)
4. warm (without need for a wetsuit)
5. good snorkeling/ freediving... more snorkeling as other half is not 'trained' and is more of a top water person than an underwater person (he's a surfer).
6. out of school holidays.

I know... wishful thinking... :waterwork

Still think Sharm is an option - some good last minute deals to be had... have a look at www.aquatours.com - they quite often have some last minute bargains!

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT