• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Good spots in South-East Asia?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

efattah

Mar 2, 2001
Hi all,

I will be in the Singapore/Bali/Thailand area Feb 26-Mar 8, 2007. I was wondering if anyone can recommend good diving spots in the area, within say a 1h30 flight. Preferably something with a nice private beach, shore accessible, no boat required. I heard the Similan islands are good, any other suggestions?

I've been twice to malayisian Tioman Island when visiting Singapore - you can fly (~1 hour in a 40 seater from Singapore), use a speed boat (around 4 hours from Singapore) or even go by a bus and then a shorter distance by boat. You sleep usually within 5m-20m from the beach. Amazing diving, beautiful place. If you go, and do not look for a luxurious hotel, go to Air Batang (also called ABC) - that's best for diving.

Last edited:
Eric Spent Tme In Thailand 14 Years Ago Great Place For Me Not For Diving Just People And Scenery Was Chan Rai And By The Bridge Over The River Kwai Also Myanmar Is Interesting Up By 3 Pagodas Pass Do You Have A Copy Of Lonely Planets Southeast Asia On A Shoestring . The Food In Singapore Is Out Of Sight On The Street Bencolen Best Indian Food Served On A Banana Leaf. Best Zoo I Have Been To Is In Singapore, Also Great Museum. Best Public Trans Is In Singapore Thailand Is Also Easy To Get Around In. Damn I Never Dove There. It Was Great Going There And Getting Out Of Rainy Petersburg Ak I Miss Those Places Big Time. Next Asia Trip For Me Will Probably Be Hong Kong And Philipinnes Rob

Well it took a 1/2 hour fishing boat ride, but was worth it to me, beautiful snorkeling at Pulau Kipas (Kapok (cotton) island) east of Terrengganu state in Malaysia, many years ago. Would go again if...$$$$:martial
DDeden

There are a few islands north of the Similans called Surin. Haven't been to the Similans so I can't compare. Surin is richest place I dived so far nature-wise, though I can't claim to have been in many places. I will always remember it as a paradise below and above water.
February should be a good time of the year, at the night of the spring-tide there should be a plankton bloom and after that the place is teeming with life.
It has been 4-5 years and in Thailand a lot can change in that time. I think Linda (Trulala) has been there a few times since then, try asking her.

I just saw a Globe Trekker episode where they went to Langkawi in Malaysia. It looked absolutely stunning, beautiful waters. Worth a look.

Cheers,
Ben

Similan Islands is a really nice dive destination with beautiful corals to explore. I think accomodations are a bit limited on the isalnds and most of the diving is from boats (either day-boats on liveabords). It's a long way from the West shore and diving from a day-boat is not really relaxed. Access is via Phuket (certainly direct flight from Singapore) and bus+boat.
Tioman is really a short hop from Singapore and very good for diving too. I'm sure you could find very good diving right from the beach there.
Further up the East coast you can find even more relaxing diving locations such as Redang and Perhentian, both within fairly easy reach from Kuala Terengganu. I'm not sure if you can fly directly there from Singapore but for certain from KL. I really like the East coast of Malaysia! More info on some of these dive destinations:
DiveQuest / The Ultimate in Diving Holidays / South-East Asia or
Diving in Malaysia: Redang, Perhentian, Bidong, Lang tengah, Yu (Zubi)
If your schedule or budget permits you are not too far from an incredible diving spot, Sipadan, off the East coast of Borneo. This island comes up from hundreds of meters deep and offers some amazing drop-offs. Just 5m from the main beach you can look down into the blue. Encounters with big pelagics (tuna, manta) are likely and there's also a lot of coral to explore. Count on one day to get there and another to come back; well worth the effort I think. A few years back there were limited accomodations on the island but that may have changed. More accomodations are available on Mabul Island some 45' boat ride away.
Your choice of destinations may also be influenced by the calendar of monsoons. Check before going!
Have fun.

Virgil

There are some great spots here in Bali. I suggest contacting me or a guy named Andre at balispearfishing.com . To talk about all the possibilities without specifics would take a long time. So please personal message me for more if your interested in Bali.

Hi Eric,

You can have good diving and hire a whole boat very cheaply from the local fishermen in Padangbaii eastern Bali. They took me to 3 freediving spots of my choice over a 4 hour period for a very reasonable price, 15 US dollars.

If you make it to the eastern side of Thailand, I stay on Koh Phangan, the freediving is average here but you can swim out from the shore everyday, it's not so deep though , maximum 20 metres then you need a spade, your welcome to visit, I rent a house here. Also in Koh Tao the next island, Monica and Eusebio go out most days and there you can find 40 - 50 metres I believe..... theres also some nice diving possibilities with reef sharks and Whale Sharks if your lucky, last time I dived there I had the privalige of diving with a whale shark...

Good spots up in Myanmar but you'd need a visa.

Enjoy.

Ciao! Golfinho

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT