• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

GoPro or Go Home

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

mishu1984

Halla Waaaaallllaaa
Aug 15, 2002
I remember when i bought my first digital camera and housing package back in 2003, the camera alone cost me around $400 and the housing somewhere in the neighborhood of $600. back then this camera was the ***** shooting at 5mp for still and some god awfull rate for video.

It was big, clumsy, and back then gun-camera mounts were a pain to find and you ended up DIY-ing it. Which was fun and you got to know the gun better. It also lead to a multitude of headaches, a few cuts and scratches, and hours of research.

sometime in 2008 i got myself another camera. this one was slimer, shot stills at 12mps and video at "hd-ish capabilities". however, shooting hd video drains the battery in less than 45 minutes of continuous use (spearfishing).
this camera and housing combo only set me back $400

cue the GoPro HD. apparently this little beast shoots full HD for a staggering 2.5 hours in FULL HD!!!

ok so here is the part where you guys come in:
with all the different gopro options out there, which one would you get??
ok i read all the forums posts about the lens that needs to be corrected, and thats more of an afterthought.

so would you GoPro or go home?

Do you want to buy a camera specifically for video or do you like decent stills as well?
that might be the biggest factor in the decision making process?

video. specifically i like the option of slow-mo. i wana see as many fish get some cold hard steel in slow-mo as possible :)

Reactions: scottwilson
Here are two vids I shot to show the comparison. If you watch them both in full-screen 720 you will see how much difference it makes. Also on the dolphin footage you will see when the camera breaks the surface the difference in clarity.

Dolphins without flat lens

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vZTJ7KAfok]YouTube - ‪Dolphins Cornwall‬‏[/ame]

And Basking sharks with the flat lens

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=trDYQBuSVZY]YouTube - ‪Basking Sharks Cornwall‬‏[/ame]

Last edited:
Reactions: mishu1984
I was an early adopter, only the plastic lens was available :)

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT