• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

GoPro Video Camera, HD Hero2... what do you think?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

FishHunter

WI Spearo
Sep 22, 2009
I'm on the edge about buying one. How sweet would that be for freediving and spearfishing?! Anyone have any advice/experience on one? They're $300 for 1080p & waterproof to 60m/197'...

Above water, the 2 is far superior.

Below water, the differences are less obvious.

The 2 is a bit better underwater in lower light conditions.

Yes, I'm tempted to buy one too. I understand that you need the flat lens for underwater, how do you get one?

Nostress uses a Hero 2 cam and his videos are pretty awesome.

Also, if you are looking for a housing that is capable of going deeper than 60m, check out F.I.I. site, they either sell them or have the link to where you can buy them.

He has lots more and probably one of the funniest dudes I've met, besides myself :-D

Last edited by a moderator:
Over the winter i purchased two gopro hero 2's , and two spare cases that i put makos ar flat lenses on. Have not had them diving yet but did have them in the small clear creek in the back yard , the flat lenses vastly improvise the clarity that the convex lenses that the camera comes with. If you are shooting in wide angle mode you will see the edges of the lenses ,med. or narrow works best.

Hey guys just order the GoPro HD HERO2 for my commercial diving activities. I have found that just buying a GoPro is not enough, you will need to change the lens configuration for shooting underwater. There are a few different styles of underwater lens accessory, that are a must for underwater filming, but the one that looks the best to me is the BlurFix with the red lens filter. It will be here on Monday April 2nd and will try to shoot some videos the next dive. Here's a great link with the different accessory lens with underwater video, you be the judge. BlurFix

ThePope

You might also conside MAKO Spearguns Flat lens solution. We now offer two different lenses. If you purchase a GoPro from MAKO the upgraded flat lens is included for free.

GoPro Cameras / Speargun Camera Brackets

We also offer a wide range of accesories including speargun mounts and other products are in development as well.

I ordered the Hero2 through Mako! I will be in Mexico shooting video in about 10 days... and hopefully some big barracuda, grouper, cobia... :-D

I just bought the Hero2 a week or so ago, I haven't taken it out yet but I did quite a bit of research and it seems like the best bang for your buck. The flat lens seems like a must though. I bought my camera through Mako (great experience) and they include their flat lens with the purchase. It's definitely the most affordable of the flat lenses, but the videos of the BlurFix with red filter are pretty nice if you have the cash. I'm just hoping they release the firmware update before summer so I can use the 720p 90 FOV and 60fps setting. Makos mounts are nice too if you have a railgun. Do a search for memory cards, there are some tech sites that carry them really cheap.

Definitely! I will post videos when I get back.
Yes, I got the flat lens w/ the camera. Such a nice thing that Mako does!
I bought a 32GB SDHC Class 4 card for $25 online.
I want to figure out a way to mount the camera to my mask or head. That way whatever I see/look at is what the camera sees.

I was told to keep the SD at Class 10 and above because of the rate at which HD cameras feed info to the SD card can overwhelm lower class cards. I haven't had personal experience with this though. I found a 32GB Class 10 for $40.

Definitely! I will post videos when I get back.
Yes, I got the flat lens w/ the camera. Such a nice thing that Mako does!
I bought a 32GB SDHC Class 4 card for $25 online.
I want to figure out a way to mount the camera to my mask or head. That way whatever I see/look at is what the camera sees.

Thanks! We also sell a head strap which is OEM from Go Pro and is ONLY $15!!!!!

It should do what you want, but you must secure it in some manner. Many people have had good luck with wearing the head mount UNDER the wetsuit hood (or even a lycra hood).

GoPro Head Strap Mount

MGPGHDS-2.jpg

Buy the $8 tripod mount and drill a hole in your mask frame (superocchio works) to secure the camera!

Meesch: Huh, GoPro says to use a Class 4 or higher, so I would hope that would be accurate. I'll find out shortly I guess!

mako1: I ordered the GoPro Outdoor edition primarily for that head strap (I was hoping that would work). My only fear was it falling off, so I think I'll order a lycra hood like you suggest. My 5mm suit has a hood, so I'm good to go for cold water.

Appneaddict: I saw a pic somewhere with a diver who must have done that. I like that idea & will try it too.

Thanks for all the feed back guys!

Have you tried any filming yet, Fish? I just took mine out for the first time and was quite pleased. In case you haven't seen already, GoPro released their dive housing with a huge flat lens that eliminates all vignetting! Best part is, they're selling them for a reasonable $50.

Dive Housing for GoPro Cameras

Here's a short clip I took from the weekend with the Mako flat lens.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ae-EGlM_AQQ]Big Sucker - YouTube[/ame]

Where was this video taken? Pretty good quality - I'm looking at buying one next.

Nice shot by the way! lol

This was at a private lake in Michigan I was at over the weekend.

The video was in 720p but with the dive housing they just released, 1080p should be doable as long as the camera isn't being swung around quickly all the time. I tried about 4 different settings but havent gotten around to editing all the footage.

I also used Mako's side mount for railguns, it's real easy to take on and off. Their recoil stabilizer worked well too.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT