• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

got an incredible good idea for a trigger!

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

spearguy360

Aug 14, 2005
i got an idea brewing in my head if anyone here is shoots a real bow and arrow they will know what i am talking about. When you shoot most compound bows they use something called a trigger release now i have a an old trigger relase that i might mount to my gun to use as a relase they are reliable i know for a fact because they hold up to a hundreed ounds of pressure(well thats how much my one was used for) i willl mount it to the top of my gun useing hose clamps(but lareger ones of course becuase my gun is made out of 2 1by3's) post back if you have any suggestions

So you're looking at a two-handed operation? I know about trigger releases though I never used anything but my fingers. Of course, I never used anything but a recurve bow, either. Shows how old I am! I'm not saying it wouldn't work, but have my doubts as to its practicality. With a bow and arrow, you are in a dynamic tension with the weapon. The speargun is much more like a crossbow, in that you set the tension up but the weapon itself is autonomous. You can put it down cocked and pick it back up again. Can't do that with a bow. Trying to use the trigger release in a speargun would require you to hold the gun with one hand and release it with the other, unless you've got an idea I can't visualize. That doesn't give you a hand to control the recoil with. Competition pistol shooters use one hand. Practical pistol shooters use both hands. Personally, I think spearguns are a lot more like practical pistol and should be shot with two hands controling the gun, not one hand controlling and one hand pulling the trigger.

Persiko,
The trigger looks like a completely knew and inovative design and it appears from the photo to be very well made.
However it looks a bit complicated in operation- not as fast to get a shot off as a normal trigger and the screws sticking up on the top will interfere with the sight picture when aiming at a fish.
Nice try but keep working on it.

the trigger is a very good idea for big fish, and for big spearguns, and isn't complicated to operation : first you arm trigger, second arm the rubber, and than place tre spear...end!! non problem.
I am making of some tests, about carbonteak 90 in photo
ciao!!

Last edited:
This design can be far more simplified. There are some crossbows that rest the fiber of the bands in a notch on the wood. The trigger is a one piece of metal that lifts the fiber/s up and lead them on the back of the spear.

Here is a scetch i did right now. It is a little bit vague but i hope you will understand.

The design is tested and it is very acurate. Plus the spear has one and only hole for the cevlar string making it very powerfull in big fish. Also to mention that the direct contact of the bads/fibers on wood does not give the strength of just thousand pounds but as the piece of wood can stand. The shop that sold me the wood told me it can stand pressures up to 2 tons!

The sliding of the spear back and forth as also the rotatin in the groove is eliminated from the steel plate that lands in aspecial cut on the spear.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v302/Selisios/Paintings/speargun.jpg

Right now i am building one from beech wood at 110cm.

Edit: I haven't found yhe way to add a safety because i think of it right now but it shouldnt be that hard. Also forgive me for bad english it is not my first language.

Last edited:
I like the idea indeed. And the craftsmanship is really impressive! Very very nice job persiko :)

What wood is that made from? It looks like some sort of oak? Hairy oak? Sheoak? Grain isn't dense enough to be silky oak...

It is beech wood. Not that is the perfect for spearguns but the only strong piece of wood i got right now.

Also i forgot to mention that this kind of design can hold up to 4 bands and it has low kick because it releases the cevlar strings one by one in a fraction of a second, so the power increases progresively until it reaches its maximum at the half of the stretched bands. The miniature i made works perfectly. The notch on the spear has to be deeper carved so it can take all 4+ bands. Although a spear with shark fins cut exactly behind the fin can hold 8+ bands (when released fron the notch), but who needs that?

Last edited:
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT