• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Got my first gun ... stoked!!

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Ink Junkie

May 21, 2010
Just picked up a cheap 48" JBL super carbine. headin out sunday on my buddys kayak for some paddie hoppin. Bring on the fish!! :martial

Just picked up a cheap 48" JBL super carbine. headin out sunday on my buddys kayak for some paddie hoppin. Bring on the fish!! :martial

In all honesty... you'll be better off with your pole spear! rofl

In all honesty... you'll be better off with your pole spear! rofl

After some thought I realize that this was a pretty lame comment.... I apologize and hope you enjoy your gun.

really is it a shitty gun? its my first one I didnt have the funds to buy an expensive gun, are they really that bad?? it seems to be made pretty well.

Reactions: Don Paul
really is it a shitty gun? its my first one I didnt have the funds to buy an expensive gun, are they really that bad?? it seems to be made pretty well.

They are not a bad gun at all, I build my own but many many big fish have been taken by the Voit and Jbl spearguns over the last 50 years.
Enjoy your gun and have fun eating the fish you eat.
Cheers, Don Paul

Like I said before, It was a lame comment. If it kills fish there is nothing $hitty about it. I started out with a mini carbine and it killed enough fish so enjoy the gun.

My original post was supposed to be in good humor but It sounded a little different when I read it later.

I would still consider getting effective with a pole spear before you move up to a gun. Your hunting skills will be 100 times better because of it. Guns tend to make people lazy.

I would still consider getting effective with a pole spear before you move up to a gun. Your hunting skills will be 100 times better because of it. Guns tend to make people lazy. _____Quote blaiz

I'm with you 100% on this one, The great spearfishing cultures of the South
Pacific teach this as well. I use my 8' pole spear off the beach for fresh pan sized fish ever once in a while.
Cheers Don

Mate a guns a gun, some are better than others, better balance, might be a bit quieter and be a bit more accurate etc.
Enjoy what you’ve got and make sure you post stories of the big one that got away just as you were about to shoot and the pictures of the ones that make it to your BBQ.:friday:friday

Ink Junkie, jbl's have come a long way in quality.no plastic trigger mechs for one. i have 2 new jbl's myself and they are as good as my expensive guns. my theory is, if it has a bands and you have it stretched with some power, when you pull the trigger its gonna hurt something. most important is how you hunt. slow stealthy movements. get as close as you can and POW!! BE SAFE AND DONT TAKE CHANCES WITH YOUR SAFETY. hAPPY hUNTING.

Podge, i like you dude, always helping a guy with great advice. when i first joined here, you sure helped me with your opinion a few times. Thanks.

Podge, i like you dude, always helping a guy with great advice. when i first joined here, you sure helped me with your opinion a few times. Thanks.

Thanks Mr Ranger, tis always good to know you’ve got a few mates here and there should the s**t ever hit the fan.

Reactions: spaghetti
Podge is 100% whisdom as usual. And moreover I tell you this: the more you trust your gun, the better it will shoot.

If you have doubts, if you feel unsure about its quality and potential, if you keep asking yourself questions (good gun? bad gun?), if in one word you don't trust it, it will hardly shoot straight.
But the same gun, if you just shoot it with optimism, will do just fine.

Now since every speargun is basically designed and built to shoot acceptably straight (more or less), all you have to do is shoot and enjoy.

Reactions: Don Paul
Andpractice makes perfect. The gun or dpear should become a simple extention of your hand/arm. All one in the force grasshopper. :martial

JBL is under new ownership now so their products are improving. Their new Elite series has been praised as the poor man's bluewater gun as it is a helluva lot cheaper than a custom gun yet it has good quality components and some of the vet's swear by em. Good luck with your new gun and let us know how it went.

I just spent twice as much on a custom canon and although I'm happy with it I still need a reef hunting gun. Thinking about picking up a polespear and getting back to my roots. Looking at the Gatku, Manny Puig, Crist, Sea Stinger.

the two things I always hated about Jbl's were the slide ring shooting line attachment
And how the handle and trigger assembly was all one piece and had either pipe or wood coming out of the back for loading.(that's just an aesthetic complaint).
however it looks like both were fixed in the wooden elite guns (I'm still not a fan of there metal guns).
however for the 300 dollars it cost to buy a elite you could get a picasso pipe gun and have plenty of money for any modifications you might want.

Also i love pole spearing, it's the only thing I use at night and it's great fun during the day plus you get much better at spear-fishing. GatKu's look nice but i love my local made 3 prongs.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…