• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Got the trigger finished

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

theonetruerat

Champion Dumpster Diver
Nov 8, 2007
Got the trigger done, now all I have to do is build a gun around it. The third picture is the pattern for a forward trigger design that I will try next. I went to a local fab shop to have the trigger cut out with a cnc plasma cutter. Learned a few things in the process. First - just because someone owns a $20,000.00 machine does not mean that they know houw to run it. Second - way to much bevel to be practical. Third - it went a lot faster to go ahead and lay it out and cut it out by hand. I'll post pics of the gun when I get it finished.

Attachments

• IMG_0768.JPG
    IMG_0768.JPG
    26.1 KB · Views: 249
  • IMG_0769.JPG
    IMG_0769.JPG
    26.1 KB · Views: 215
  • IMG_0772.JPG
    IMG_0772.JPG
    15.9 KB · Views: 211
Reactions: Mr. X
First - just because someone owns a $20,000.00 machine does not mean that they know houw to run it
how true...

way to much bevel to be practical. Third - it went a lot faster to go ahead and lay it out and cut it out by hand.
maybe you can find someone who owns a $20,000 or so CNC milling machines, you will have perfect borders, no bevel at all, and 2 o 3/1000mm tolerance

I talked to a local machine shop and the price they quoted me was way too high. I realize that the point of making your own spear gun is to do it yourself but.. . I can't go and spend more on a homemade trigger than I would on a commercial unit. What I did, which works pretty well, was to work up the parts in auto cad with the centers of all the radiuses marked with cross hairs. Then I print them out on label paper and use a punch to make the radius and whole centers as well as the start and finish of and long straight lines. I drill all my holes then rough them out with a hack saw and or band saw. Finish work is done with a belt sander, dremmel and a right angle grinder with a scotch bright wheel. It still took to long but, Man.. . The first time you pull that trigger and it works like you thought it would it's all WOoO! HOoO!. Then of course you spend a bunch of time showing it to other people saying things like "Check this out, isn't it neat?" :D

Reactions: sgnips
I talked to a local machine shop and the price they quoted me was way too high.

that's the point, steel also takes long time working, since it needs more than a single step
making your own speargun i definitely the fun you have with it, me and my buddy are making our coustom neckweight (i posted some pics here), a safety string and hopefully a new float: the only problem is that our wives don't seem to understand it 100%....:blackeye

water jet cutting is best but it's going to cost you some money, unless you plan on doing at least 100 pieces for each part. you also have to make a case for it which is going to cost you more. there is no reason you can't hack saw it and grind the edges smooth enough for it to be presentable and work well. i made many mechs by hand before i was comfortable with the design to commit to the cost of producing a 100 units.

of course, there are many makers out there that will sell you a tested unit at a reasonable price but doing everything yourself has a certain amount of satisfaction that one just can't get any other way, especially when you first pull the trigger and actually shoot a fish.

good luck.

steve

Last edited:
water jet cutting is best but it's going to cost you some money, unless you plan on doing at least 100 pieces for each part. you also have to make a case for it which is going to cost you more. there is no reason you can't hack saw it and grind the edges smooth enough for it to be presentable and work well.

steve

I talked to a local machine shop about water jet and he said that even 3/16" would end up with considerable bevel/kerf and that I would still be sanding to finish. This trigger is made out of 1/4" which is way overkill but it's what I had. The spear will be 3/8" carbon steel. Also way heavyer than I need but I couldn't find the 5/16" that I wanted and I figgure better to big than too small. At least that's what all those spam E-mails tell me. :D

Actually I won't be making a case. I'll mount the trigger directly into the gun. The cassette style is great for ease of installation but not necessary for the one off gun build.

Spear season opens june 20th.. . . Hope to be done by then.

If you want to put out these triggers a punch press is the only affordable production way to go IMO. High tech=high price.
If anyone came to my shop asking.

Jason
Cooke Bros Fabrication

If you want to put out these triggers a punch press is the only affordable production way to go IMO. High tech=high price.
If anyone came to my shop asking.

Jason
Cooke Bros Fabrication

Are you talking about the big sun of a gun that hammers out part by ramming different dies through flat stock leaving a part and a pile of metal confetti or do you mean work up a die and stamp them out with a fly press.

I kind of thought that wire EDM might have been a good route but no one runs those out here.

I have already made a couple of changes to the design to make them easier to work up by hand. Considering my production schedule of “try to finish one before gun season opens” that’s probably going to be the most economical. I do need to buy some better small files though.

Stamping them out. Some friends and I did it a long time ago with a iron worker for a diiferent part. Had them stamped out as closes as poss then did the fine tweeks on our own.
Im in the middle of building a trigger myself, sorta a enlarged neptonics with duel line release and remote trigger for my large gun build. You have inspired me to go solo.

Jason

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT