• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

GPS question

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

BladeRunner

Mud Puddle Diver
May 20, 2002
I chart that Gps cords for locations that I can not enter into my Gps because of it's different from what my Gps uses. for example 30degrees 14minutes, 21.1 seconds but my Gps show the Second like 422. I thought I read some where on a Coast Guard webcite that you can actually take the 21.1 form and multiply it by 20 to get it in the 422 format. Is this correct or is there another way to convert this seconds form to something I can use?

If its a Garmin you can change the format and read either way. I beleive to convert that mathmatically, divide your minutes by 60, that should give you decimal reading...or somthing like that.

My old Magellan works like that too.
30d 14m 21s becomes 30 degrees 14.35 minutes if you divide the seconds by 60 to convert to decimal minutes.
Aloha
Bill
P.S. I guess we're lucky, the first satellite computing program required dividing the seconds by sixty, adding that number to the right of the decimal place, dividing the minutes by sixty and adding that to the degrees, dividing the degrees by 360 and multiplying by 256 for something else which had to be converted to binary for the 1962 computer to read it. Two math professors and two amateur radio operators came up with four different answers. Now my $5 Radio Shack calculator will figure out the cube root of a five digit number in less than a second. Boy I feel old.

Last edited:
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…