• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Great White encounter at Thunderbolt Reef, South Africa

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
shoooooooooo

great video! i was a bit spellbound there. it sounded like it was barking at it rofl

Very mooi video Bark, shout, scream, sing a heavy metal song......good to see the theory in action..and working..

amazing, shark was only curious though... handled well, what an experience... but to catch it on video as well!!!

THe one thing you had in your favor is that you had great visability and saw the shark way off in the distance as it started to check you out. It then was aware that YOU were aware ot it, thus the chance of it getting injured if attacking dramatically increased. Now, if that water had been less clear, your video might have turned out a bit different. Scary stuff but well played.

Good thing he had a speargun with him. That would have probably saved his a**, if the shark got even more curious and decided to take a test bite.

Last edited:
Same guy, different shark....

This guy is a shark magnet!

Last edited by a moderator:
Good thing he had a speargun with him. That would have probably saved his a**, if the shark got even more curious and decided to take a test bite.

I have the feeling the day a white shark decides to take a bit, the speargun won't help much.

Spearfishing in south africa definitely helps the magnet

Yeah, I must say that there are some areas that used to be good spearfishing spots that's just too dangerous to dive these days.

Specifically False Bay, where I do most of my spearing, more and more areas are no-go due to the increase of the shark population.

If I'm not confusing the place i've done white shark cage diving in false bay almost 8 years ago. Pretty cool from inside the cage. Not sure i would venture out tho

If I'm not confusing the place i've done white shark cage diving in false bay almost 8 years ago. Pretty cool from inside the cage. Not sure i would venture out tho

Thats got to be pretty unnerving anyways, even from inside the cage.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…