• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

great white shark in La Jolla

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
miles said:
Hiya

I'm scared!!!! Well, actually not true,.............more like TERRIFIED!!!!!

I've heard this waaaay to much: "Sharks are our friends.........they mean us no harm........they're simply mis-understood..........etc,etc,etc" Most sharks are quite harmless, but we're talking about Carcharodon carcharias, the White Shark, or as most people refer to it, the GREAT WHITE SHARK. They ARE brutal killing machines. They've evolved over the centuries to become one of the most AWESOME aquatic predators. Besides, GWS are KNOWN man eaters.

So PLEASE don't lull others into a false sense of security.

Regards
miles

Well said Miles!! The white shark is not our friend. He is a predator and will take your life in the blink of an eye.

hey bluecape, get yourself a copy of the latest geographic africa magazine. a very interesting article on current research into gws movement/mating/hunting patterns in gansbaai. they suggest that gws possible breed/give birth between october and january in very shallow bays with their bellies on the sandbars! their movements certainly tie into what i've experienced in the cape as well... when the sr whales arrive in sept/oct, the gws are right up against the kelp and even in it at deeper kelp beds like at outer black rocks, bordjiesrif, quarry,etc. but they also suggest there is a lack of feeding during this period possibly to prevent adults eating their own young. i think they may be onto something. obviously for us it help to know when they are least likely to feed. by the way, i'm out of sa for a few weeks, has the 'tails arrived at the bellows/rocky bank yet?

Last edited:
Hey Akriel, I actually saw that Geographic magazine, thanks - hows that pic of the GW approaching the guy in the kayak !!!The arrival of the whales with positioning of GW is very interesting, never actually thought of that, may be worth doing some research into !

Re the tail, they are being taken off Dassen and Robben Island, and smaller tail from the fishing boats were coming in this past weekend in false Bay, but havbe'nt heard of any big runs yet. Miles may more on top of the tail situation, most of my dives are shore entries, and have started spending more time diving the Garden route.

Jeff.

ja, hows that shot of the kayak with gws in approach. i think i'd rather b in da water with my 1.1 break-away! i've been to dassen about 2 weeks ago, but no tail. all the terns even gave up flying around for the day... some nice hotties tho.

This shark came to La Jolla because the seal people were protecting the harbor seals at the children’s pool. The seals are over populating the area. The dive community and seal people have been at each other for years. The seal people get on my case with cameras, and legal threats when I try to dive there. This shark is going to solve whole seals a children pool issue by eating the seals. Don't kill him; we need him to eat the firkin seals. He'll leave when the seals are gone.
Keep your wits about you to keep from getting bit for the next few months and let him do his work.

The Vis was around five foot a few days ago. and then the swell died.
The White shark is still out there. I heard two sightings. One off Blacks beach the other in front of Childrens pool. The shark was chasing a seal next to the cement wall.

i saw something on the news about the city making a desicion about the seals at the childrens pool but didnt get to stick around to see it. are they finally going to do something about the seals now?

I did talk to one of the guy's that saw it 2 weeks ago, he was looking for YT and it swam under him in fairly shallow water, around 45 feet or so, his buddy saw it too. They got out of the water.

Im being very cautious around there and at Boomers, I hope this fella doesnt turn out to be a local regular or resident.......

I agree with Freediver7, get out of his way and let him do his work on those nasty, smelly seals !

Maybe...just maybe....if we ask REAL nice like, he'll eat on of those a$$hole greenies with the danged camera around his neck and his too short shorts, sandals with socks, cheap 70's style glasses, scruffy gray beard, bald top of head and greasy ponytail !!

NOW that I would pay to see !!

Reactions: freediver7
Hey guys, just a reminder, whether you agree or not with a person we don't engage in personal attacks on DB.

Adrian

Reactions: Freediver81
I guess this is slightly off the La Jolla topic, but a guy diving from my boat saw an 18 footer at Farnsworth Bank on the back side of Catalina last week.

Adrian said:
Hey guys, just a reminder, whether you agree or not with a person we don't engage in personal attacks on DB.

Adrian

Adrian is right guys, give respect so you could receive respect!

Another important consideration regarding the great white is the improper choice of a wetsuit. Case in point:

Attachments

• Seal.jpg
    Seal.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 307
heh-heh-heh

Lots of close calls in my Mares, you know. Not all shark related, either. I surfaced near a rookery one time, and pulled myself up on the rocks. I lay there tired and motionless on my stomach for just a bit too long.

Did you know that male sea lions can weigh up to 2,100 lbs or more, and don't return phone calls?

Last edited:
when I regained consciousness, there was a $20 for cab fare stuffed in my hand.

Can you make a photo like that but with my wife's face and a caption that reads, "Does this wetsuit make my ass look big?"

miles said:
Hiya

I'm scared!!!! Well, actually not true,.............more like TERRIFIED!!!!!

I've heard this waaaay to much: "Sharks are our friends.........they mean us no harm........they're simply mis-understood..........etc,etc,etc" Most sharks are quite harmless, but we're talking about Carcharodon carcharias, the White Shark, or as most people refer to it, the GREAT WHITE SHARK. They ARE brutal killing machines. They've evolved over the centuries to become one of the most AWESOME aquatic predators. Besides, GWS are KNOWN man eaters.

So PLEASE don't lull others into a false sense of security.

miles

Amen Miles, if the GWS are so harmless, why does the scientists always film them behind bars??? :duh that is so totally contradictory about their original statements ... like, they dont eat people, they eat seals instead, they are not that kkiling machines bla bla bla, and then they film behind bars ... who believes them???

Regards

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT