• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Greatest freediver

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

What is the greatest freediver of all times?

• Enzo Maiorca

Votes: 7 3.8%
  • Jacques Mayol

Votes: 32 17.5%
  • Pipin

Votes: 13 7.1%
  • Umberto Pelizzari

Votes: 63 34.4%
  • Debora Andollo

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Tanya Streeter

Votes: 21 11.5%
  • Audrey Mestre

Votes: 13 7.1%
  • Herbert Nitsch

Votes: 19 10.4%
  • Martin Stepanek

Votes: 15 8.2%
  • Gianluca Genoni

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

fpernett

Nov 7, 2001
Yesterday I had a mail discussion with my brother, about the greatest freediver of all times. The ones that I include here are my list, but for other persons there could be another candidates.
My vote goes to Enzo
Not just as a freediver but as person

Hello!

For me it's Umberto for beeing on the top for so long time and still making great results.

I would have picked Sebastien Murat if he were on the list!

Eric Fattah
BC, Canada

These things are always hard to judge for me, because there are so many aspects to what is "best". Is the "best", the person that just hit a new WR? Or someone that consistently sets records in many events? Or a friend? Or an "old original"?
If it's about all-round record setter, then no doubt that Herbert is the man right now. If it's about an amzing diver that willingly shares all his hard-earned information for free on the net and in person, sets a WR and a few National records, and will dive in any conditions under any circumstances (4C water with 1.5 metre breakers and zero viz), then I have to say that Eric Fattah should be on this list!
Cheers,
Erik Y.

Reactions: Pezman
What is 'best'?

A contagious mass delusion that exists only in our minds, having no firm grounding in reality and who's only posssible outcome can be but division, envy and jealousy amongst us.

'Best', is an empty word-trap devoid of substance and value.

Sebastien Murat
Cairns, Aust.

PS: Better that!

Reactions: DeepThought
Originally posted by Sebastien

'Best', is an empty word-trap devoid of substance and value.

Kinda funny you put that.... You're one of the people I would have voted for! The other is Eric Fattah! (but neither of you are on the list! :confused: )

Willer :D

Last edited:
Greatest.

With - out descending into a diatribe on semantics, the greatest is not necessarily the best.

Best is numbers. Great is aura. Of all these divers, who has impressed his aura on me the most ? Taught me the most ?
He is not on the list.
But he is here.

And i'm not telling ...

skin.

The Flying Fish is the greatest!

In my opinion the greatest freediver of the presence is Herbert Nitsch. Not only that t Flying Fish holds some world records at the moment and does some spectacular dives such as the blue hole projects - he is just a cool dude with loads of humor!

Of those listed I have met Umberto and Gianluca and was fortunate enough to speak with Jaques .
I would like to place my vote with someone else though ; my friend and training buddy Trevor Hutton .
What impressed me about him is his dedication in spite of tough conditions and lack of sponsorship back home .He may not be the "best" but his love of freediving and commitment puts him up there for me .

Reactions: Alun
Quantity versus Quality

Originally posted by Skindiver
With - out descending into a diatribe on semantics, the greatest is not necessarily the best. Best is numbers. Great is aura. Of all these divers, who has impressed his aura on me the most ? Taught me the most ?
... skin.
Originally posted by Erik
These things are always hard to judge for me, because there are so many aspects to what is "best". Is the "best", the person that just hit a new WR? Or someone that consistently sets records in many events? Or a friend? Or an "old original"?
If it's about all-round record setter ...
Great statements!

To paraphrase: Best is numbers (quantity). Great is character (quality). According to these criterias many of us have the potential to make it into the hall of fame.
Practically speaking: I agree with Abri that Trevor's tenacity is amazing. He also is a great guy to be with and we made friends at the '99 Red Sea Dive Off.
Herbert deserves to be mentioned also from the quality perspective: He is great fun to be with and shares His knowhow liberally without reservations. Besides he is very playful and creative in experimenting with new techniques.
Then I would also like to mention Eric Fattah because he works his guts out to share his experience with us on the internet :)

Last edited:
As a recreational freediver, I think the best freedivers are those who actively share their experiences, tips & tricks.

And thats you guys!

Reactions: Erik
I totally agree.We are all great,as long as it doesn't go to your head.I voted for Umberto,since I've had the pleasure of training with him and his team.for a whole week,and in our own backyard,the Red Sea. They are all,great simple,professional,and fun to be with.I've also heard great things about Enzo,not so much about Mayol.But talk is cheap!!"Humility comes with greatness." That's my motto...

if its as easy as saying "the best is numbers" then what is the hard pard about this thread...it would be as simple as who has the best numbers so it is obviously more in depth than that:duh

It's a tie

Umberto, Seb and Eric

Umberto because he introduced me to diving,
Seb because he changed my perception of diving,
Eric because he teaches whoever wants to listen

Hard, if not impossible to put one above the rest. Still my vote goes to Umberto since it was a TV show about him a few years back that got me into the sport in the first place.

My vote goes to Umberto Pelizzari, I meet freediving world viewing his records, photos and magazine article´s. Then I meet him at an Apnea Academy course and I think is a great human being...

Ciao bastardo ;)

The bluest of the blue

The greatest is surely the pioneer. And for that we need only look at Jaques Mayol. While his life on land did not end quite as poeticaly as it did in the Big Blue, his death and it effects on the freediving comunity shows how much effect he had on the nitch sport. In my opinion, togther with Enzo, he is one of the pioneers of modern freediving. His input into the sport is legendery, and from what ive read of him he was a thoroughly decent bloke.

alistair marr

Hard question

When I started this thread I knew that it was a hard question.
As some of you had mentioned It's not just a matter of numbers and I chose an old guy (Enzo), because almost always the history tell us the truth.
I met Umberto in my Island and he's a wonderful person, his achievements in freediving are superb, and it will be interesting to know his opinion on this thread.
I name the poll the greatest freediver of all times, to point out that it has to be a person that give a lot of his life to our sport and also made incredible things.
When I read the story about Enzo braking the 50 m "limit", I just think this is an amazing person. Remember that the "Big blue" was a movie, and Enzo wasn't like he was showed.
All of this is to say that at this moment I think we have great fredivers: My brother, Eric Fattah, Seb Murat, Manolis Giankos, etc that are not included in the list. The history will give them it place.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT