• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Greetings from Scotland!

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Nodens

Mar 31, 2017
Why hello there!
I'm from Greece but I moved to Scotland in September. All was fine and I was okay with the idea of not going to the sea for the time being but... I just can't stay away. So, if anyone from West Coast has any tip on how to make the transition easier from sunny Greece to , ehm, Scotland that would be great. I have no idea on where to go, or what wetsuit to get. Also, I don't know anyone who is remotely interested in the sport so if there are any clubs/groups in the Glasgow area, google told me nothing. Thanks for having me and cheers. :)

Reactions: SubSub
Hello Nodens.. I'm from Edinburgh and looking to get into spearfishing myself. Done any trips yet?

Hi,from Scotland, Shetland. I would suggest acclimatizing yourself to the Scottish weather first. Maybe you have done this already though and one way to tell is if you are wearing the same as most other people rather than being wrapped up as you are still feeling the difference in temperature (my cousins feel the cold when they come up to Scotland from England) but naturally some people acclimatize quicker than others.
You need to be looking at getting a 5mm wetsuit for the cool waters around Scotland of which there are many brands (names,makes).
I wear what is classified as a 5mm Semi-dry suit made by Oceanic called Shadow Titanium Semi-dry suit.
In comparison to a wet suit it has seals around the wrists and ankles to stop the water flushing through your suit and so keeps you warmer of which i can vouch for. The suit also comes with a 5mm shortie which can be worn over the main suit through the winter months.
The hood seals on the inner side of the suit this way you don't get cold water running down your neck.
I bought this off Ebay uk as i do with all my diving gear as there are no diving shops where i live and it fits me perfectly but i am always careful to get the exact measurements (chest,waist,armpit to cuff and crotch to ankle)
Where to go spear fishing in your area is something you will have to probably figure out for yourself by observing the coast at different tides in your area and asking fishermen or locals in your area, this is something i had to do myself when i moved only 20km five years ago and have still not found anyone in Shetland who goes out spearfishing but i prefer to go out hunting alone on land or sea and most speargun accidents happen when there is two or more people in the water at one time.
Hope this helps.
any questions feel free to ask

Hi
a 7 mm spearing specific ( high waist trousers and 1 piece jacket) open cell inside/lined outer is a good all rounder for Scotland . A 5 mm is fine for a small part of the year but you'll get chilled doing deeper dives/longer bottom times or longer dive sessions fairly easily though. We don't have any suppliers up here so you'll need to use mail order from any of the spearfishing suppliers in uk or abroad.
There is a fb group 'spearfish Scotland ' that might be worth posting on to find a buddy.

Cheers

Grant

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I would not revert back to the two piece 7mm wetsuit after using the one piece 5mm semi dry suit for several reasons. Firstly the semidry suit keeps you alot warmer as the water does not consistantly flow through the suit like it does with a standard wetsuit and the second reason is linked to the first reason which is because the suit is 2mm thinner it requires less weight for neutral buoyancy and the third reason is with the suit being a single piece suit it is also there fore more stream lined and so more efficient in the water. So with the semidry suit keeping you warmer and less weight needed and being more streamlined = less energy consumption

so you wear a 5mm suit as its not as buoyant as a 7mm and more hydrodynamic but you put a 5mm shorty on top when its cold? is the 5mm full suit with a 5mm shorty more hydrodynamic and less buoyant than the 7mm suit that didn't fit properly?

if it is I'm getting one . how long do you spend in the sea?

I would not revert back to the two piece 7mm wetsuit after using the one piece 5mm semi dry suit for several reasons. Firstly the semidry suit keeps you alot warmer as the water does not consistantly flow through the suit like it does with a standard wetsuit and the second reason is linked to the first reason which is because the suit is 2mm thinner it requires less weight for neutral buoyancy and the third reason is with the suit being a single piece suit it is also there fore more stream lined and so more efficient in the water. So with the semidry suit keeping you warmer and less weight needed and being more streamlined = less energy consumption
was the 7mm a custom?

Hi Sandeel. I wear the 5mm Semidry instead of the 7mm standard two piece wetsuit because it keeps me warmer due to the fact it has wrist and ankle seals which stops the water consistantly flushing through the suit and yes because it is not as buoyant as the 7mm by being 2mm thinner and it is more Hydrodynamic which was very noticable from the first time i wore it.
The 7mm two piece wetsuit fitted me fine but when i read up on Semidry suits on the internet a couple of years ago it made a lot of sense because the way i saw it the standard wetsuit would be like having no elasticated cuffs or elasticated pull cord on the waist of your jacket on a cold windy day (the cold air would be constantly flowing through the jacket just as the cold water constantly flows through a standard wetsuit so it is less effective at keeping you warm)
I also prefer how with the semidry suit the separate hood tucks into the neck of the suit and creates a seal against the cold water also,this has a couple of benefits A. you are able to turn your head easier B. you can swap the hoods around depending on the water temperature 3mm,5mm,7mm
I have found that the 5mm semidry with 5mm shortie worn over the top to be more hydrodynamic than the 7mm two piece probably because you will be moving less weight with the 5mm the shortie covers the area needed to be covered and kept warm which is your core.
I have been diving in a 7mm two piece wetsuit for thirty years but advancements brought the Semidry suit into play and i can definitely say i wont be going back to the two piece 7mm as it is outdated for my diving needs.
I usually dive for a four hour period sometimes up to 8 hours and when i get out of the water i put on thick fisherman's waterproofs (the orange ones) or oilskins as they are also known which stop wind chill as it is something numerous sites and people say about wetsuits /semidry suits and how the down side to them is that you get wind chill when out of the water but i have not seen one that suggests stopping the wind with a set of waterproofs which is a very simple effective method.
Cheers

Reactions: Sandeel
Hi Sandeel. I wear the 5mm Semidry instead of the 7mm standard two piece wetsuit because it keeps me warmer due to the fact it has wrist and ankle seals which stops the water consistantly flushing through the suit and yes because it is not as buoyant as the 7mm by being 2mm thinner and it is more Hydrodynamic which was very noticable from the first time i wore it.
The 7mm two piece wetsuit fitted me fine but when i read up on Semidry suits on the internet a couple of years ago it made a lot of sense because the way i saw it the standard wetsuit would be like having no elasticated cuffs or elasticated pull cord on the waist of your jacket on a cold windy day (the cold air would be constantly flowing through the jacket just as the cold water constantly flows through a standard wetsuit so it is less effective at keeping you warm)
I also prefer how with the semidry suit the separate hood tucks into the neck of the suit and creates a seal against the cold water also,this has a couple of benefits A. you are able to turn your head easier B. you can swap the hoods around depending on the water temperature 3mm,5mm,7mm
I have found that the 5mm semidry with 5mm shortie worn over the top to be more hydrodynamic than the 7mm two piece probably because you will be moving less weight with the 5mm the shortie covers the area needed to be covered and kept warm which is your core.
I have been diving in a 7mm two piece wetsuit for thirty years but advancements brought the Semidry suit into play and i can definitely say i wont be going back to the two piece 7mm as it is outdated for my diving needs.
I usually dive for a four hour period sometimes up to 8 hours and when i get out of the water i put on thick fisherman's waterproofs (the orange ones) or oilskins as they are also known which stop wind chill as it is something numerous sites and people say about wetsuits /semidry suits and how the down side to them is that you get wind chill when out of the water but i have not seen one that suggests stopping the wind with a set of waterproofs which is a very simple effective method.
Cheers

was the 7mm a custom?

The 7mm two piece wetsuit fitted me fine...
Cheers

With all respect your 2 piece 7 mm didnt fit you fine if it was consistently flushing through as you say.
I use mtm 5,7&8 mm suits and if I put any of them on with talc instead of wet lube the talc is still dry all over the inside of the suit after several hours diving - there should be absolutely no flushing in an open cell suit if it fits.

There is little difference to me in the feel /hydrodynamics ( mmh really?) of wearing the 7 v 5 mm other than up to 1 kg weight but it's not really noticeable tbh

I wore a 4/3 mm blind stitched and sealed surfing suit at the weekend - I was totally dry inside when I removed it but not something I'd want to spear in tbh as it's not got the flexibility, silence or features a good spearing suit has. It does have a nice key pocket though :)

Each to their own - it obviously works for you.

How is the spearing up there? Have you got any pics/vids you could share?

I bet there are some great pollock/cod opportunities?
Cheers

Grant

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions: Mr. X
With all respect your 2 piece 7 mm didnt fit you fine if it was consistently flushing through as you say.
I use mtm 5,7&8 mm suits and if I put any of them on with talc instead of wet lube the talc is still dry all over the inside of the suit after several hours diving - there should be absolutely no flushing in an open cell suit if it fits.

There is little difference to me in the feel /hydrodynamics ( mmh really?) of wearing the 7 v 5 mm other than up to 1 kg weight but it's not really noticeable tbh

I wore a 4/3 mm blind stitched and sealed surfing suit at the weekend - I was totally dry inside when I removed it but not something I'd want to spear in tbh as it's not got the flexibility, silence or features a good spearing suit has. It does have a nice key pocket though :)

Each to their own - it obviously works for you.

How is the spearing up there? Have you got any pics/vids you could share?

I bet there are some great pollock/cod opportunities?
Cheers

Grant

As a general rule a semidrysuit will minimalise flushing because of the wrist and ankle seals) I did not say my suit flushed
I also said that i found the semidry to be more hydrodynamic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro.

Last edited by a moderator:
How is not being a custom suit better, apart from being cheaper? Like grantl, I don't experience flushing with my open-cell interior spearo wetsuit - it sticks close to my skin. The lube I put on to start with, is still there when I remove the suit hours later. What do you do if you need to pee in a semi-dry/dry suit?

How is not being a custom suit better, apart from being cheaper?

I believe he is either trolling or is very confused.

What do you do if you need to pee in a semi-dry?

Semi-dry wetsuit is just an ordinary wetsuit off the shelf with seals on ankles/wrists.
It is scuba attempt to prevent flushing and charging for it as much as for custom wetsuit.

Shame that there is more dodgy advice on net (and DB) than not. People waste money on the basis of such advice.

Reactions: Sandeel and grantl
Play nicely.

Peoples preferences vary. I've used a custom made Elios wetsuit for many years, it was inexpensive as the £ was strong at the time (pre-banking crisis), just a smidge under £100 - excellent value. Unfortunately they were almost twice that price last time I looked. Camo would cost even more but the £ has strengthened some recentl. So I am currently mainly using a new camo Mares wetsuit, "off the shelf". On sale around £132-135 inc. shipping from a UK retailer. Both fit very well (the former because it was made to fit me, the later because it uses a much softer, stretchier neoprene and I'd lost quite a lot of weight, so the standard sizes started to become a feasible option). Neither allow water to enter normally. So preventing water "flushing" should not be a major consideration - if comparing to a regular spearo wetsuit - as Grant already said, it does not occur with a properly fitting spearo suit. Perhaps there are other factors, such as ease of putting on/off suit (e.g. over-the-head vs. zips, need for lube)?

BTW Re. thickness: The stiffer 5mm Ecoline Elios suit is, I think, if anything, slightly warmer than the softer 5.5mm Mares suit but it is hard to be certain. Elios did not consider Ecoline (their cheapest neoprene at the time) stiff - they sold stiffer neoprenes for divers that went down deeper and for longer (e.g. SCUBA divers) as the insulation compresses less and so remains more effective.

Re. custom suits. Last time I read, folk found it cheaper to order custom suit from Greece rather than Italy currently. Which is probably good news for the original poster, Nodens, who comes from Greece ;)

Last edited:
Now who is trolling? Brochman's comparison to a wetsuit will be valid for some/many non-spearo wetsuits (e.g. off-the-shelf, poorly fitting, zipped, SCUBA/surfing wetsuit). His original post was clearly intended to be helpful and to share his personal experience, your last one clearly not.

Reactions: SubSub
Guys - play nicely now. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and a couple of posts on this thread have verged on true trolling which is against our rules.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT