• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Greetings from Tasmania + Dive comp advice needed

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Tas_Dive_Gal

Mar 27, 2006
Hi All! :)

I'm new to the site and have been SCUBA diving for just a year now.

I'm into underwater photography and have managed to get a few good shots in the time I've been diving (with a very liberal amount of crap ones :t ) and have just started using my new Nikon P1 (8mp) and Ikelite housing, with strobe. First dive with that yesterday.......what an education!

Anyway, I am looking at buying a wrist worn dive computer and have spotted a new Suunto Vyper on eBay but, as a beginner, I'm not sure if that's the brand/model to look for.

I don't need anything too advanced but do need something that will acommodate my needs, as I become more experienced.

Any advice?

Thanks in advance!

Cheers,
Liz in Taz
:)

Hi, I'm not an airsucker, so no clue about computers, but:

www.diveoz.com.au has a few guys from down your way. Including the Eaglehawk dive centre. At the very least there are heaps of Victorians, which is almost the same as Tassie... rofl

If you want some pics to inspire you try:
http://www.scuba-equipment-usa.com/marine

These are pics by the awardwinning photographer Dave Harasti (from Port Stephens in NSW).

Thanks Shadowkiller,

Almost the same as Tassie?? Wot the? ;)

Yeah, I know Eaglehawk dive centre, very well. Have yet to go out with them as we have a boat of our own to use but my partner has been out a few times with them and we see them sometimes when we're diving around the Eaglehawk area (Tasman Peninsula) - there are some top spots down that way. Have you ever been diving down here?

I posted a few pics in the gallery - they aren't stupendous but I'm just starting with the underwater piccy lark so will get better as I go :)

Thanks for the link and the reply!

Ciao for now,

Liz

Hey there, welcome to DB. Cant really help with the dive comp either, but I must compliment you on the images you posted, it seems like youve got a good base to work from. Hope to see more in the future.
Save Diving :)

Thanks BayRay and Deep Thinker :D

DT, I have had a camera in my hand for as long as I can remember (as a hobby) but doing it underwater is a very different story! Thanks for the compliment though, it's much appreciated. I look forward to posting more images as I improve. :)

I love my vyper. very hard to go wrong with that choice. big, easy-to-read display. modern RGBM tables. wonderful comp.

Welcome to DB

Liz; Welcome to scuba. I have an old 'skinny dipper' which is fabulous.I'm not going to use it. you may not have heard of it but its a great computer,
write me at smeyer@citynet.net if you want it . I'm not so familiar with this site since I just joined
Stephen

Cheers Amphibious,
The bidding on the Vyper on eBay has now escalated out of my financial reach ($450AUD). (why do bidders not realise that if they leave it late on the bidding, they will pay less!!? They've been bidding like mad things against each other for 4 days! *sigh*)

I'm looking at a package now that includes:
Apollo ag-110 DIVE GAUGE; Apollo "Prestige" a-102b REGULATOR and OCTOPUS; Apollo a-2000 BOUYANCY COMPENSATOR DEVICE (BCD), medium, and Apollo NANO DIVE COMPUTER.

It's at $450 now and is pick up only so the bidding will be limited.

I've heard of Apollo but don't know what the quality's like - the gear's only been used twice.

Any ideas?? (bidding finishes late Sunday night here)

Stephen, thanks for the reply - I will e-mail you and get some details and will check out the package above as well.

So much to do......so little time....... :D

Thanks again for the replies guys,
Ciao for now,
Liz

never been a big fan of the Apollo equipment. seems very overpriced for what you get and finding service centers can be tough.

I tend to lean towards Apeks, US Divers/Aqualung, and Scubapro.

for BC's a good Stainless Backplate and a wing is the end-all-do-all for me too.

if you can get that kit cheap it might be worth it. spend soem time cruising the scuba section, some good, relevent topics in the last little while.

Thanks again Amphibious,

I checked with one of the local dive shops down here, Aquascuba, and ran it past them about the packag on offer. They do actually service Apollo gear but said I really should inspect the gear first (and have it looked at by a pro) before buying it - especially as there is no warranty. He made a good point that, if the stuff has only been used twice and has just been sitting around for ages, it could very well be perishing (reg).

Anyway, I can't inspect the gear because it's in an other state and nobody is exactly raving about the Apollo gear so I think I'll let this one slip.

The guy at Aquascuba was raving about the suunto gear, as have many others I've spoken to. They have some on special at the moment so I may look at getting the Mosquito - it's currently marked down $200 less than usual (is $600 now) and I can layby it and pay it off. The water's getting chillier here now so we will be doing less diving from now until next Spring/Summer (I only have a 2pc 7mm wetty, not a drysuit) so I can hold out til then, if it means getting a good product at a good price.

Thanks again for your help and for the advice on the BC - That'll be the next thing I get but I'll use the borrowed one for a while longer and get an additional strap installed on it.

Ahhhhh, how nice it would be to be filthy rich.........I'd even hire someone to carry my gear and wash it all afterwards for me :D

Thanks again,
Liz

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT