• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

greetings from the Aleutian Islands

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

dan magone

Jul 23, 2006
I am a 28 year resident of Dutch Harbor on the Island of Unalaska in the Aleutian Chain, Alaska. I am 55 years old have been a recreational diver for 40 years, a commercial diver for 36 years and am the only freediver I know of in Alaska. I am a spearfisherman and love freediving for its own sake as it gives me a gracefull, simple way to explore God's creation. Since I am a loner freediver and quite off the beaten path I am looking to this forum for input on techniques and safety from the freediving community out there.

Dan Magone

Last edited:
hi Dan
Welcome to DB - i have never been to Alaska and like fogish say, not many of us are from your part of the world but guaranteed we'd like to know more. Do you have a blog, or photos of your dives up there?

Hello Island Sands and others,
I am just learning this forum stuff and I do not have a blog or whatever but I will try to attach a photo and share a few facts about my area. It is summertime now and most of the snow is gone from sealevel, the hills are turning green and the water is warming up. Winter water temp is around 38 F and its up to a balmy 45 F in the bay right now. For freediving I am using a 9mm wetsuit and 34 lbs of weight split up between a belt and a harness to spread out the load. This is the time of year Pacific Halibut move into shallow water along with everything else thats going on in the Bering Sea in summer.

Have a great day,

Dan

Attachments

• 737 rsd.JPG
    737 rsd.JPG
    31.7 KB · Views: 146
Hi Dan, that is one impressive halibut!. I had no idea they grew so large. What happens if you don't stone them! :)

Adrian
This is a Pacific Halibut the larger cousin of the California Halibut. I saw one on a commercial SCUBA dive at 110' that was approximately 7 feet long. The biggest ones are over 400 lbs. You need break-away gear for large halibut just like any other big game fish then hang on for the sleigh ride.

Have a great evening,

Dan

wow that is big. bet its good eating too.
A balmy 45F??? BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Big fish Dan well done, cant see that being attached to the belt to easy.

Hi Dan,

I didn't realize you were in Alaska, must be a fabulous place to dive.

There are a couple of things in the forums that might interest you. First, use the search function to find other Alaska divers. I've seen posts from several, might be some near you. Second, check out some of Fondueset's freediving stories. He dives in Lake Michigan winter and wears a suit that you would like. Might be something useful there.

Connor

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT