• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Grilled Mackerel Fillet Mediterraneo :)

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Marwan

Gear Buying addict
Supporter
Sep 3, 2005
went trolling on saturday with my dad and we got 2 spanish macks, actually both Rods hit at the same time, and each one of us reeled in a fish, a double whammy :) so best thing to do EAT IT ASAP!!

Filleting the fish: after many hours of watching BBC food i decided to give filleting a go..long story short, i made one side as a skinless fillet for frying as fish fingers (With the superdip recipe i outlined in another thread)..skinless fillet and picked the few bones with tweezers.. THE OTHER fillet (skin ON) is the subject of this recipe, also deboned totally..

Ingredients:
1- Fillet of Spanish mackerel (cut in two pieces/2steaks)
2 - Salt/Pepper/lime for the fish marinade
3 - Olive oil
4 - one tomato deseeded and cut into small cubes
5 - half an onion cut into little pieces
6 - Handful of capers washed
7- Handful of fresh corriander, roughly chopped

Marinading: Just some salt, freshly ground pepper and some lime and let it marinade for a couple of hours in the fridge..
OPTIONAL: You can also add some dry chilli powder if you like it spicy

Cooking:
1- Let the fish out of the refrigerator at least 30 minutes before cooking to be at room temp..
2 - Place a griddle pan on the stove and turn up the heat leave for a couple of minutes until it gets hot..
3 - pour some olive oil on the fish (NOT THE GRIDDLE PAN), just make sure both sides are coated
4 - Place the fillets on the griddle pan skin side UP...for 1 -2 minutes max...OPTIONAL: for presentation after one minute, rotate the fillets 90 degrees to get that criss cross griddle mark on it..
5 - Flip the fillets skin side down and leave to sizzle for 1 -2 minutes to cook through but still be Juicy...
6 - Take the fish off the pan and place on a serving plate

For The sauce (Take less then 2 minutes):
1 - Heat a small pan on the stove and pour some olive oil in it (medium/high heat)...
2 - Place the onions and stir until they start to soften
3 - Next toss in the tomato cubes and the capers and stor for 1- 2 minutes
4 - Turn off the heat, toss in the fresh corriander, then add some salt and pepper
5 - As the sauce is sizzling remove the pan from the stove, then with a spoon pour over the fish as much as you want, the rest could be served on the side..

ENJOY!!

P.S..of course yesterday, the starter was the fish fingers from the first fillt that were fried and served with the dip..
the side dish was roasted potatoes, which we did as such:
1 - Cut the potatoes into small cubes (SKIN ON)
2 - 3 Cloves of Garlic crushed (but with skin on
3 - dried or fresh rosemary and thyme
4 - olive oil

In an oven tray, add a touch of olive oil..then brush with the cloves of garlic to "flavor the tray"..add the potatoes, and season with salt pepper rosemary and thyme..
coat with olive oil and mix with your hands

Place in the oven for 30 minutes (Gas mark 6)...ENJOY!!!

Reactions: Mr. X and agbiv
Dry chilli powder if you like it spicy
OOOWWW you tease you roflrofl

Sounds great mate, another top recipe from our man in Egypt:)

I tried your dip with a few scallops and it was spot on mate, except for the bit that I dripped on my shirt…roflrofl

funny how that works, same happened to me too roflroflrofl

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT