• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Grouper Philadelphia

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Oldsarge

Deeper Blue Budget Bwana
Jan 13, 2004
After our second long morning's dive (ended at 2:00 pm), we packed up from Gonzaga Bay and drove back north to spend the final night in an (Heaven be praised!) air-conditioned motel in San Felipe. Attached to the motel is the Baja Mar restaurant where the owner, chief hostess and the head chef are all personal friends of Dale's. Everything on the menu that we tried, both going down and coming back was delicious but not on the menu and only available by special request if you know it's there is Grouper Philadelphia. I saw it being prepared on the next Gonetobaja video that is coming to a Sport Chalet near you next month but didn't really have a good idea of how it went together. All I know is that it looked wonderful. In real life, it's better. I asked the waiter what went into it and all I got was, "The list is long. There's three kinds of onions and bell peppers in it. And mushrooms." That much we could figure out just looking at it.

So, tomorrow night I will try to see how close I can come to the original. What I can say is begin by slicing Philadelphia cream cheese about 1/4" thick and lay it out on strips of grouper fillet and roll up the fillet around the cheese then pin with bamboo skewers and set aside. In a pre-heated pan bring 2 Tbs olive oil to fragrance then add about a half cup each of chopped yellow onion, leek, green bell pepper, sliced mushrooms and red bell pepper along with about a 1/4 cup of chopped celery or, in my case, Swiss chard stems, and 2 Tbs minced cilantro or possibly parsley. Sautee' until the onions are soft. Then pour in perhaps 1/4-1/2 cup of white wine or dry sherry and cook until the alcohol boils off. Push the vegetables to the sides of the pan and add the fish. Turn the heat to "low", cover and simmer until the cheese melts out and the fish is flakey. Place the fish on dinner plates already charged with a scoop of Mexican rice and a summer green salad or perhaps sliced pineapple, stir up the sauce and pour it over the fish. If we can even come close on this . . . hoo-boy!

Therefor this is not really a recipe but a work in progress. Let's try it on all kinds of fish, seabass in the British Isles, cod in Scandinavia, snapper in the Gulf or whatever you happen to have and then we'll share notes. I'm really looking forward to the development of this one. :p

I'll let you know how it goes with some Sea Bass - really good recipee as it looks quite adaptable, nice and quick and no silly ingredients that are difficult to come by. Nice one!

Tonight's results were pretty good. Don't overdo the cream cheese because it won't melt out and toss a three-finger pinch of sugar while you're seasoning the sauce just before serving. And for Heaven't sake, don't try this if you're on a diet! Rich? Man!

Shame I didn't see your post last night because I completely overdid the cream cheese :duh I put a good layer on the fillets before I rolled them up and then an extra dollop on top and stired another dollop in the suace afterwards! Way too rich! I think I also reduced the sauce too much and wondered if there should be some exta stock/water in it? It turned out a very creamy white wine mushroom sauce and the other flavours were drowned out. It was still pretty tasty though and I will be doing it again with countermeasures to restore balance to the force - I mean sauce. Also I didn't really have anything green about to go with it which would of helped. I will try a bit of sugar in the sauce next time too. :)

Next time I'm probably going to soften the cream cheese and spread it on like butter. Maybe I'll just use the whipped stuff that people put on bagels for simplicity. My sauce came out thin enough, I just needed to strain it and only put back about 1/4 of the vegetables. Also, top it with chopped scallions. Forgot that part in the original . . . and the sauce is a killer on rice!

Havent had fish for a day or two Sarge but this one has got to be tried :p

me and my translation problems... I usually capture cabrilla (wich can be used as "grouper" but...

what is bamboo skewers? Swiss chard stems? flakey?
:hmm
thnks!!!
:p

Bamboo skewers are extra long toothpicks. You can use anything that goes all the way through the roll. Swiss chard is a giant beet that's grown for it's leaves. We use it instead of celery because my wife is highly allergic to celery. When the fish comes apart easily and is white all the way through, it's "flakey". Better?

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT