• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Gun envy

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Satanclaws

May 21, 2017
Hi all just a quick question. Has anyone ever been given he'll because of the type of gun that you are using? I ask this because recently I got flamed as copped a lot of crap because I use " an outdated cheap piece of shit wooden gun". Just wondering if anyone else uses woodies and weather the get crap because they aren't Rob Allen users? Even when stating that the wood guns have less recoil just as accurate etc etc. Thanks Chris.
Ps I'm in Australia if that makes a difference

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I'm in Oz also. I also use timber guns exclusively. Just a couple of weekends ago I fished a pairs event with almost 70 spearos (35 pairs) it was a rock hop event & we all started & finished at the same spot. The most striking thing I took from the two day event was the noise from alloy tube guns, I could hear them shoot from almost 100m away (so could the fish), yet, I could barly hear my partners timber gun firing just 12m below me. On top of this, tube guns are hard to ballast when we start to use two rubbers (we can go much more with timber), this isnt a problem for putting food on the plate & smaller fish, but we need to go to heavier timber guns when we start to hunt larger fish. I wouldnt let those guys get to you mate, just go out & shoot fish & let your results speak for themselves, if or when they get a bit more experience they will be adding some timber guns to their quiver too.
"Having wood is good!";)

Reactions: Satanclaws
Some of the most well made powerful and accurate guns out there are wooden, so don’t bother about the trashtalkers. They obviously don’t know what they are on about. :)

Ignore the my guns better than your gun people, they are just letting you know that they are mere children who totally miss the point of spearfishing, its not the size of the gun but what you do with it that counts! :D The bloke with the wooden gun and inner tube rubbers on that lonely pacific island has it right. Use what you've got and enjoy ;)

Thanks for the reply guys. I think I was just letting thier crap get to me. I love the feeling of the wood and the silence. I guess they will need to learn lol.[emoji4]

It's just a tool for catching fish.

What wooden gun do you use?

A wooden gun like the Abellan Denton is considered by many to be one of the best in it's class.

I make my own guns from wood just because I like the material and it's fun making things.

Yeah, tell them that the great internet think they are all a bunch of clueless clowns! [emoji6][emoji12] (says the guy with a non-wooden gun!)

Lol the gun I use is an Australian brand one. Undersee. Price is low but quality is quite good. I will say that it's the best gun I have used to date tho. I can't afford very expensive as I'm on disability . But as far as I can see price can be deceptive. I've shit $$$ guns and hit and cheap guns and killed just the same. But the feeling of a wooden gun firing is so much better .

I have yet to try a wooden gun in water. But they shure as hell look better, and I'm shure they feel better too! I'm quite happy with my little 82cm Pathos though, it shoots nice fish and concidered it's small size it packs a good punch too.

Last year I finished my first own wooden gun. There's something special about shooting fish with something you poured love (and hours) in. Won't be cheaper than a pipe gun, but you won't want to use anything else. Stick with it, my buddies are now all starting to build their own – and there's nothing intimidating to it, after all it's just a simple stick with a rubber in front.

Reactions: SubSub and sharkey
It's just a tool for catching fish.

What wooden gun do you use?

A wooden gun like the Abellan Denton is considered by many to be one of the best in it's class.

I make my own guns from wood just because I like the material and it's fun making things.
Hey man. I use an undersee 1200mm. Great gun

Lol the gun I use is an Australian brand one. Undersee. Price is low but quality is quite good. I will say that it's the best gun I have used to date tho. I can't afford very expensive as I'm on disability . But as far as I can see price can be deceptive. I've shit $$$ guns and hit and cheap guns and killed just the same. But the feeling of a wooden gun firing is so much better .

That's the same brand that I use :)

I use a riffe 120 and love it but I can't think of anything cooler thank making your own wooden gun. That's awesome and something to be proud of. Think I shall as well. Cheers!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Interesting thread. I guess it depends on where you are. In my area, if you didn't use a wood gun, you would be considered odd, a newbie, maybe too cheap, or too ignorant to realize that wood guns work better (at least in my area). There are a few plastic stocked guns that are just like wood guns that are considered just fine.

Like Portinfer said, "Its a tool for catching fish" Use what works for you and ignore the naysayers.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT