• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

gun names

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
rofl

With all the screws and connections on that Esclapez, you might want to consider keeping that thing in fresh water.

sven

great I'm now seriously thinking about sending it back and getting a solid barrel Esclapez, I had plans in using it in the ocean when I could hook with Rigdvr to go one those Rig hunts. Now I'm thinking I spent my money on a piece of S**t now. I'm still going to get the same model but with a full length tube barrel instead of this TRIAXX barrel.

Hey is 100cm barrel long enough to do open ocean work for a novice spearo?

BladeRunner

Hey icarus pacific that last message wasn't meant to sound like a lash back toward you with your comment on the gun.

BladeRunner :)

huh?

No sweat...I didn't take it as one.:cool:

While that gun looks cool and all, I'm of the "tried it and been there" school, where the simpler the better. I tried this before wher I filled the barrel of a JBL with hard foam and milled out the barrel in slots, ala the look of yours and pretty much ended up with a spare handle and muzzle for my efforts.:head

The less joints, fittings and bullshit the gun involves, the less likely it'll bugger up when you need it.

Diving the rigs is a whole thing unto itself, especially if you strap on some air and go deep into the murk and gloom. There, the gun is only one of the things you want sharp. The dykes in your pocket need to be sharp as well.

Ideal gun wise, we've been going on about a gun for rigdvr and I'll go to the bottom in a blissfull spiral pushing the attributes of a Riffe Metal Tech 4S and some time in a quiet room with some tools to rig the thing. It ain't cheap at about $450, but unless you lose it, it'll always produce given your patience.

sven

Hey Blade,
The shore diving here is so-so at best. I do most of mine on the jetty here @ Wrightsville Beach. Otherwise its just one long strip of sand. Also w/ a sand ,silt bottom the vis isn't the best close in. I freedive a artificial reef about 3.5mi offshore, but I get a boatride out while the others are on scuba. Its a great place to kayak though. Let me know when you head out this way.
As for the gun, IMHO you're better off rigging w/ mono for your shooting line and just use the braided stuff for the reel. The mono is more hydrodynamic and if you do alot of shooting you'll need to replace it frequently, also it allows you to pull the shaft through the fish and off your shooting line by just unclipping your swivel from the reel line.(In case you can't back the shaft out of the fish.)
Also, IMHO I'd give the new gun a chance. Although simpler is better in most cases the guns I've gotten from esclapez have been pretty durable,(I definately don't baby mine when I'm using it.) I'd expect the same from yours. A 100cm gun will be fine for hunting in the ocean, though it will be a bit short for most BW stuff. You'll probably be able to find line locally. Ck out boating supply stores or even backpacking/climbing stores. You'll probably get it cheaper there. If not ck out Omer for the line, Mark will be able to help you.
And if all else fails and you don't like the gun I may be able to help you out. Let me know if you need anything else.
Jay

Jay did you get your gun here in the US, If so where? If I need stuff for my gun I wanted know of a place in the states that I can get everything I need. IF later on I get the chance to go on deep water trips regularly I'll buy a longer gun. Jay thanks for that last post it was very helpful and how is the diving and spearfishing off that Jetty at Wrightsville Beach?

BladeRunner

Blde don't worry about that gun out here...we'll take good care of it! Like he was saying its a different world but we have everything so its no big deal...wrecks, rigs, rock piles. and dont worry about depth...some days they swim up to greet you! If your smackin those thick scaled carp you can definately take care of grouper snapper and AJ's! Its just good to here your in the water and hunting! Your life will never be the same. By the way, that gun looks way cool! I'd give it a fair shake...and if you do come here you'll have to listen to the jokes...I'm already an outcast for giving up the almighty JBL!:D

Hey, we get together, I'm sportin my JBL's and my Riffe's, none of this outcast business.

sven

names, huh?

The JBL Custom's are Stubby 1 & 2. The Magnum is Bazooka. The Riffe MT#3 is Flatster, the MT#4S is the Meateater and the Island is Lumber. The hybrid is Robo and the piece of furniture I'm working on is just plain, WOW.

sven

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT