• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

halibut,

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

jwells1989

Feb 21, 2007
just found this video on youtube of a halibut half buried under the sand.
thats a big flatfish, anybody ever shot a halibut.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5uQSS8UEI1E]YouTube - Halibut Video[/ame]

They are occasionally taken on spear here in Norway... Northern Norway is best but They are found all over. They are usually left alone unless quite a size already and then its not a prey for the faint hearted. They are most commonly encountered by anglers fishing in very deep water. adults can grow to 270 kilos and live around 50 years... They are exceptionally strong and fast swimmers, they can break your bones and they bite real good.
For spearing, April to June is best chance of finding one in shallow water. Heavy shafts attached to sturdy buoys is obviously the way to go... spearing in pairs or threes obviously helps.
interestingly enough... An angler took a small one on a charter boat off weymouth last year (he prolly thought it was huge). I wouldn't hold Your breath for one on the south coast of England tho

Halibut in Bodø, Norway.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBZYZffb9N0]YouTube - Kveite[/ame]

nice video, wow they are fast for such a big fish.
actually last year or the year before last a halibut was taken about a mile offshore of brighton in a trawler net, it was not very big but still a halibut.
i have heared of others taken by rod fisherman around the british coast line, but none of any real size, theres probably has been some big ones, anybody know of any bigger halibut caught from the british coast line.

im sure they catch them on shambles bank but i dont think we get the big boys over here!

oh yeah i remember seeing those pictures in the "sea angler" magazine, they said the one that was caught in wales was released and they dont know for sure what it is,
it does look like a halibut to me though.

I'm sure that the california boys spear halibut. Not sure if they are exactly the same species though. There is/was a british spearo record for halibut of a couple of pounds caught in Jersey many, many years ago. Not sure on the identification of that one. I cleaned up the Guernsey records about 30 years ago and there were some dubious records there, so not totaly convinced. This year has seen lots more strange visitors with trigger fish now common and various species of jacks and different sorts of breams appearing. These are all southern fish moving north so halibut looks less likely to arrive as they would be northern fish moving south. Must say though that a halibut would add to my flatfish crown.

Dave

Reactions: spaghetti
I think the California ones would be Pacific Halibut, Ours being Atlantic Halibut... really very little difference between them. There is also another species, the Greenland Halibut but it is quite different.

From what i know of halibut is the pacific halibut has a much lighter skin where as the alantic halibut is darker and much firmer with its flesh.
the greenland halibut or "mock halibut" is more rounded, alot smaller and thiner and very water'ie flesh.

The Pacific Halibut's range (out of memory) is Alaska to Mexico and size to over 300 kilos. The California Halibut is mid CA to below Baja and the max is 30 kilos. They look quite different.

Ah found it... [ame=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/California_halibut]California halibut - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]
Weird that its distribution is only in California.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…