• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Hampshire, south-west coast near New Forest - Anybody spear here? Conditions to spear?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Mr. X

Forum Mentor
Staff member
Forum Mentor
Jul 14, 2005
I'm planning a trip to explore the coast in SW Hampshire, which I suppose could potentially cover anywhere between Totton/Southampton , Hythe, Calshot, Lepe, Hurst Castle and onto Milford on Sea, Barton on Sea (& perhaps even Highcliffe/Mudeford?). Anybody spear or fish down that way? Are conditions condusive to spearing / lure fishing or the waters muky, only suitable for bait fishing? Will also likely be doing some walking.

Any suggestions for places to visit/explore or avoid and/or coastal parking issues/opportunities or anything that might help make the trip worthwhile appreciated. I have already been given a recommendation for a pub in Milford by a local. :)

I just realized I camped several time on the coast in that area as teenager. Just took a look on google maps and immediately identified 2 v. promising places interesting looking reefs to visit (inc. one that I am quite familiar with)! Things are looking up :)

Reactions: Brochman
Did you manage to take the trip? if so how did it go? As i live near there but have never speared in the UK and i am looking into it to see if it is worth me buying all the gear.

Hi Oli, Yes, I did go but the sea was a bit too choppy for the first few days. Several of the places I visited were too shallow -- a lot of wetlands/salt marshes, great for wild fowl though. The numerous beaches between Mudeford and Hurst Castle might be worth exploring in more favourable conditions although it looks like the tidal flow could be quite fast and powerful at times.

We were exploring the area and spearing was not the priority on this trip - although still a little disappointed that I could squeeze at least one dive in. We did swim in the sea a couple of time - without wetsuits :) - though. The bass embago this year has tempered my enthusiasm, not to spear but to drive down to the coast. Sod's law that you'll encounter loads of massive bass once you can no longer take them! :D I prefer mullet anyway...

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT