• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

hand made wooden gun

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

maltaspearo

Aug 2, 2003
Recently i been shoping around for a new wooden gun and was set on totemsub tahiti. but when i got to ordering it it was going to cost way too much to have it shiped to malta maybe ill hope over to sicily in the future and got one from there propbably be alot cheaper than ordering online.
Anyway untill that time comes iv been racking my brain on a design for my homemade gun. i see alot of wooden guns but none of them seem to be very hydrodynamic. they look to me to have alot of drag not good for tracking fish. PLEASE CORRECT ME IF IM WRONG. but thats what thay look like from all the pics iv seen of diferent guns. thay are all beutifull guns but look a little bit bulky. i especialy like totemsub and kes.
i was think of a wooden gun that is streamline like C4 MONASCOOCA this is what i have came up with. what do you think does it bas the test or is it back to the drawing board.all coments apreicated this is only a samle of what the muzzel will look like.

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 338
Last edited by a moderator:
dude, is this the gun that you start building? IMO and like most speros will say, the elipsoidal shapes are easy to track. I see band channels in this design will definately give you a stable tracking without trembling bands.
As far as I see from the good eurostyle wooden guns, the barrel tickness are all under 40mm, I think your best bet will be to develop a design of a proved company or your needs.

Keep up the good work and please send us more pictures about the complete design... :D

notine how the muzzele is now thicker than a cigerette back

Attachments

• picture 059.jpg
    picture 059.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 865
last pic for now

please tell me what you think about this designe. this is only a prototype the real gun will be made of 6 plyes of laminated sipo mahogany and beechwood

Attachments

• picture 048.jpg
    picture 048.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 772
did you design a rail on the barrel? and what about the handle? what will you use?

I'm sure more experienced wooden euro style gun users like Shane and Aydin will say some good tricks. IMHO you did a very nice job.

thank you!!!!

the handel is going to be hand crafed from the same peice of wood as the barrel it will all be one peice of wood i am planning to copy the mb omer handel and am going to use omer mechanism. only the parts will be made of stianless stell th only original omer part will be the actuall hamer in the mechanism.the other two peices will be copy of the plastic part but made of ss.or brass
brass will look good on a wooden gun.

the rial will be routered out of the delrin or nylon resin that will be inbeded in to the barrel. anyway youll see when its finished

okay keep us all informed.. you dont use laminated wood do you?? how will you protect it against water?

yes i am going to use laminated wood. im going to use apoxy resin to coat the wood

Malta,

Thanks for sharing. :cool:

How are you going to insert bands into the muzzle? I see that in a few photos you have one in there. Are you simply going to construct the band inside the muzzle?

It would seem that a standard slit/groove (found on most muzzles) would not be possilble on your gun, without seriously compromising the strength.

why not he can make front groove for ban replacement just the way I tried to show in my poor drawing.

Attachments

• groove.jpg
    groove.jpg
    8.9 KB · Views: 444
I know it will destroy the elegant look of the muzzle but I think it will do the job..

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT