• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Has anybody had an SWB when doing a short shallow dive?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

misterlizard

Tom Arnold
Oct 11, 2002
Most of the accounts of SWB I've read have been from people pushing the limits - either when coming up from a deep dive (>30m) or from a long breath-hold.
So has anybody out there experienced samba or SWB after a short shallow dive like a snorkeller might do... i.e. no deeper than about 10m and no longer than about a minute?

I had a samba once from a 15m dive which was a bit disconcerting.... but there was a heavy current and not particularly straight line.. so maybe it was more like 30m!

Sam

Shallow can happen easily, witness all the deaths in swimming pools. Not long after I started diving, I had two or three mild sambas (visual symptoms only) in water less than 20 ft. These were hyperventilation related, I think. Don't know how long I was down, but probably more than a minute. I am not aware of any problems with both short and shallow, but don't take that as gospel.

Connor

I had a samba from a recreational dive to 23m for 1'30". Right before I had done a dive to 22m for 3'00". The shallowest dive from which I ever had a samba was 19m for 4'50". I also had a samba from a no-fins constant ballast dive to 30m for around 1'25", with 17lbs of weight.

Eric Fattah
BC, Canada

Thanks for the replies everybody. The reason I ask is because I quite often dive alone due to not having anybody to dive with, and therefore I want to keep it as safe as possible (obviously). Therefore I don't dive deep (no more than 10m) and I don't stay under very long at all (only up to a minute or so). I don't breathe-up properly - I just take a couple of deep breaths and down I go. I keep the serious stuff for those rare priveleged occassions when I have somebody diving with me.
Keep the replies coming everybody, they are very very useful.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT