• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Hawaiin sling

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

kellya

Apr 6, 2004
Hi im getting a hawiian sling tommorow and i have a few question. Whats the range like? Can you put on a shooting string. I sorta need one because the viz is rarely more than 10 feet. And any other tips and advice would be appreciated.

By Hawaiian sling do you mean a 3 prong. Which is either a fiberglass, graphite or aluminum rod with 3 smaller steel rods and a length of surgical tubing fastned to the top. Ive heard it called a pole spear also. If thats what your talking about the range is dependent on the length of the spear. As for a shooting string maybe your not talking about the same thing Im thinking about. Ive never used a shooting string. I dont even know what one is. If I can be anymore help Ill try. Good luck on whatever you get.

Reactions: sammydive
Hawaiian sling

This is a hawaiian sling. They are simaler to a pole spear sorta. BUt the shaft actually leaves the handle.

Attachments

• hawaiianslinge.jpg
    hawaiianslinge.jpg
    7.4 KB · Views: 594
Reactions: sammydive
Hi Kellya
Fortunatly I dive the crystal waters of S. Florida and Bahamas. I dive the reefs no deeper than I am willing to dive to retrieve a stray shaft or holed up fish. But I have been asked the question in the past. I don't use lines on my slings so I have no experiance to convey but this article by Retro Sub in California seems to sum it up.
http://www.geocities.com/freedivespearo/shootinglines.html
I have made shots up to fifteen feet but under ten and within six is more realistic.
Where do you dive?
I am off to Bahamas tommorow and may not respond back until Thursday.
Talk later
Ray Uppstrom

Hi kellya,

If you are getting a storebought sling, you willl almost certainly want to customize it to you, it makes a huge difference. PM me and I will lead you through it. Can't help on the line, never used one.

Connor

Last edited:
hey
Check out this 38 lb black. got him off Allens in the Bahamas.
Hope the photo comes out.
Ray

Attachments

• cnv0001.jpg
    cnv0001.jpg
    158.2 KB · Views: 405
Nice fish! Nice to see people catching fish this size with the simplest of equipment, just proves the point that we dont always need the most expensive complex speargun fin or whatever on the market!

I shouldn't talk though :duh
"Damn! My weights dont match my goggle lenses! Doh!"

Great! Man i cant wait to get back in the water.... i havent been spearin for a Loooong time... i went to swim in the see this sunday just in shorts... i jumped from the boat into a nice 15*C water just a bit too cold for me... *chips ice from frozen body*

Nice fish Ray, but I really like the color of that water! :)

Adrian

Adrian
I here you on that one check this pic!
Ray

Attachments

• cnv0007.jpg
    cnv0007.jpg
    589.2 KB · Views: 348
does anyone know some sites to get one? i have only seen one site and that one is the most advanced trigerless one. any sites would be great.
Also is a sling better with a pistol grip?

Kelly
AB biller sells a pistol grip and a stright shooter. The pistol grip they sell has the bands mounted at the top. When pulling this sling it makes the wrist work against the band. This makes using more powerful bands harder and they do not offer them. The other one you looked at has the bands routed to balance the power to the wrist so you don't have to balance the force with wrist strength. This allows more powerful bands, and they do offer them.
Pistol grips allow more power as a stright shooter causes the wrist to be in a position that makes the wrist weak.
Some prefer the stright shooter for different situations and prey. Some are so used to using them that they do not want a change. Most dive warehouse online sell slings. As well as your local dive shop. Pistol grips other than AB biller and www.Hawaiiansling.net are hard to find though.
Check this site they have directions on building your own! http://www.geocities.com/freedivesp...otinglines.html
Talk Later
Ray

Last edited:
80 lb Grouper

Hope this photo comes out!
I am told this 80 lb Grouper was taken recently in the Bahamas with a Hawaiian Sling from www.hawaiiansling.net The photo was submitted by a person ordering at the site. He said his friend got the fish. This is the largest fish that I know of taken with this sling to date. Great Shot andGood Hunting what ever your name is!
Ray:p

Attachments

• big grouper with sling.jpg
    big grouper with sling.jpg
    150.5 KB · Views: 283
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT