• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Heading to Italy in July- Amalfi, Capital, then Otranti. Verso l'Italia a luglio - Amalfi, capitale, poi Otranti

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

JethroAcosta

Jun 24, 2019
Hello...heading to Italy. From Santa Barbara California ... any suggestions on dives spots welcome. I’m traveling with my family. Open to all options from scuba to free diving. Id welcome opportunity to meet with locals! I speak English Portuguese and some Spanish.

Ciao ... in direzione Italia. Da Santa Barbara in California ... ogni suggerimento sulle immersioni è benvenuto. Sto viaggiando con la mia famiglia. Aperto a tutte le opzioni dalle immersioni alle immersioni libere. Id benvenuto opportunità di incontrare gente del posto! Parlo inglese portoghese e un po 'di spagnolo.

Hi JethroAcosta, I grew up near Otranto but now I live far away. North Otranto the coast is sandy and shallow water. I never dove there, but some friend of mine told me that there are more fish than South.
South Otranto towards Santa Maria di Leuca there's a rock coast and more deeper water. I know the last one, where I usually dive (spearfishing) when came back at home. Because the professional fishing, there is no many fish; you can find something if you'll dive in shallow water on sunset or sunrise. Grouper or big dentex live more deeper, but you'd need a boat and an expert buddy.
If you want to do scuba diving, there're a lot of scuba diving centers and wrecks.

If you want more detailed info, feel free to ask me. Sorry for my English.
All the best, Roberto.

Ciao Roberto,

Thanks for the update. Your English is great! Diving a wreak with a scuba diving center sounds like a fun time. Here is some more info I found:

"The Ionic side is characterized by a slowly declining sandy bottom. Sting rays and giant tun are common encounters in the sandy area dividing the calcareous formations that form the seabed. Octopuses, eels, lobsters and squills are also to be easily seen.

The Tevfik Kaptan 1 wreck, a turkish merchant ship that sunk the 29th June 2007, lies close to the Torre Vadomarina at a depth of approximately 60 ft.. The wreck, which originally was about 260 ft. long, is now split in two, with the bow section straight in navigation asset while the stern fell on the side at an 80° angle. The massive presence of bluefishe attract many hunters like barracudas and amberjacks.

The Adriatic side is characterized by its many walls, which reflects the cliffs of the coastline. Many groupers have here their burrows. Because of the currents that distinguish the area nudibranches are extremely common.

In the bay under the lighthouse, Punta Meliso, a statue of the Virgin Mary was deposited at a depth of about 45 ft., while a little more east you may dive on the wreck of a fishing boat."

Any other suggestions of thing to do in or near Otranto in July, other than diving?

Best,

Jethro

Hi Jethro,

It's all right, except for the presence of fish. I know the Tevfik, never seen fish bigger than 1 kg. Believe me, fish are scarce, groupers or large amberjacks live offshore, over 30 meters, in precise points that, unfortunately, I do not know.
The biggest lobster I saw weighed about 300 grams at 25 meters. Fishing it is forbidden.
Along the coast, in good day or if you are a good spearo, you can find some octopus, diplodus, sea bream, mullet, small amber jack.

For diving on the Tevfik or on other wrecks nearby you can contact the Torre Vado Diving Center (search on Google).
For excursions on a sailboat or motor along the south coast I can give you some references. Tour of 2, 3 or more hours with possible lunch on board.

City to visit.
Lecce, the capital, called the Florence of the south.
Gallipoli and its old town.
Castro and others.

You can swim in characteristic places like Acquaviva di Marittima, Marina Serra, Ciolo, Punta della Suina, Porto Selvaggio, etc. etc.

Otranto and the entire province of Lecce, being tourist resorts, organize events, festivals and parties to encourage tourism. You can ask directly on the spot, now only Castro Wine Festival comes to mind from 5 to 7 July.

I hope I was helpful. You can ask me more info if you want.

Have a nice day, Roberto

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT