• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Healthy Eating: Another pro-fish oil piece

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Mr. X

Forum Mentor
Staff member
Forum Mentor
Jul 14, 2005
From www.swansonvitamins.com (no affiliation :( - just interested):

"Since the 1950s, doctors and researchers have been studying the diets of people in the countries surrounding the Mediterranean Sea. It is widely recognized that people of Greece, southern Italy, Spain, France and Portugal are among the healthiest in the world.

A main constituent of the health of people living in the Mediterranean region can be attributed to their diets, which have an abundance of healthy foods such as tomatoes, garlic, fish oils, red wine, parsley, oregano, broccoli, tea, olive or grapeseed oil and vinegar.

Now two studies suggest the Mediterranean diet protects against Alzheimer’s disease and peripheral vascular disease. Read the report about the two studies below. I am also including a report about a study that shows fish oil reduces inflammation.

Lee Swanson
"

More at: http://video.swansonvitamins.com/e_files/ResearchUpdate/060713_RUa1.html

That's hogwash. Mediterraneans don't drink tea, they drink espresso! Dark chocolate is good for you, too. However, there is research that men who have sex at least three times a week have half the heart disease that more sedate types do, so that may be a factor, as well. Want to keep you man healthy, ladies . . . ?

nice MR X

as a matter of fact i did a diet & lost 14 kilo in 4 mounth!!
but the Mediterranean food have so many different types
but a lot typical to all part

the best in the medeterrian is :
herbs ( basil oregano atc.... )
lots of vegs n fruits
OLIVE OIL (several kinds )
fish & seafood (esp sardines tunas anchoas) that have high level
of Omega 3
most herbs vegs & fruits have special minerals
myself i got in my garden more then 10 herbs in use daily
eyal

Reactions: Mr. X
Oldsarge said:
That's hogwash. Mediterraneans don't drink tea, they drink espresso! Dark chocolate is good for you, too. However, there is research that men who have sex at least three times a week have half the heart disease that more sedate types do, so that may be a factor, as well. Want to keep you man healthy, ladies . . . ?

They also say that frequent sex helps to prevent prostate cancer. I don't know if that'll be an effective line though:D.
:chatup

Oldsarge said:
... there is research that men who have sex at least three times a week have half the heart disease that more sedate types do, so that may be a factor, as well. Want to keep you man healthy, ladies . . . ?
Worth a try rofl ...and, if it didn't work, you couldn't really complain could you!

Prob. more difficult to achieve if you already have heart disease tho'...and I suspect many women will answer "no" to the last question (esp. given the "work load" over an extended life!). Now if only there was research to showed that it helped women stay youthful/slim/...

BatRay said:
They also say that frequent sex helps to prevent prostate cancer. I don't know if that'll be an effective line though:D.
:chatup
rofl Also worth a try!

Mundail, that's incredible. Got any more info. you can easily share?

:t hiya
look at my recipes i use to put as much healthy stuff in :t

so all what you suggested up with good med food
gives you a long life :t
if you will live after the rockets rofl rofl

Last edited:
Mr. X said:
Worth a try rofl ...and, if it didn't work, you couldn't really complain could you!

Prob. more difficult to achieve if you already have heart disease tho'...and I suspect many women will answer "no" to the last question (esp. given the "work load" over an extended life!). Now if only there was research to showed that it helped women stay youthful/slim/...

rofl Also worth a try!

Mundail, that's incredible. Got any more info. you can easily share?

Hey if I could find a good man, I'd want to keep him healthy! Problem is finding one:head.

The mediterranean diet is intriguing. I imagine it's much like good Italian food much of the time, which I love, although I don't think anyone would vouch for the healthiness of Alfredo sauce :p.

Oldsarge said:
However, there is research that men who have sex at least three times a week have half the heart disease ?

In my opinion, all that the above says is that if the man is having sex three times a week, he must have a generally healthy lifestyle. Therefore, it is probably the generally healthy lifestyle which is reducing the risk of heart disease, not the sex itself.

As a similar example, you could say that there is a strong correlation between sitting in front of a desk, and carpel tunnel syndrome. In fact, it is not the sitting in front of the desk that causes the carpel tunnel syndrome. Rather, if you are sitting in front of a desk all day, you're probably working at a computer, and it would be the computer keyboard causing the carpel tunnel syndrome. However, in this example, given that sitting creates a pressure on the buttocks, you could say that pressure on the buttocks is strongly correlated with carpel tunnel syndrome. Some people will then conclude that pressure on the buttocks causes carpel tunnel syndrome.

Oldsarge said:
However, there is research that men who have sex at least three times a week have half the heart disease that more sedate types do, so that may be a factor, as well. Want to keep you man healthy, ladies . . . ?

When i was a young fella i must of had a very very healthy heart;) ;)

Now im middle aged and been married for 8 years, a heart attack must be just around the corner.
3 times a week, only in my dreams

Do eat lots of fish and have very Medit bassed diet.
And lots of fresh Spanish Macks, Yum

Crusty

efattah said:
In my opinion, all that the above says is that if the man is having sex three times a week, he must have a generally healthy lifestyle. Therefore, it is probably the generally healthy lifestyle which is reducing the risk of heart disease, not the sex itself.

As a similar example, you could say that there is a strong correlation between sitting in front of a desk, and carpel tunnel syndrome. In fact, it is not the sitting in front of the desk that causes the carpel tunnel syndrome. Rather, if you are sitting in front of a desk all day, you're probably working at a computer, and it would be the computer keyboard causing the carpel tunnel syndrome. However, in this example, given that sitting creates a pressure on the buttocks, you could say that pressure on the buttocks is strongly correlated with carpel tunnel syndrome. Some people will then conclude that pressure on the buttocks causes carpel tunnel syndrome.

True. There's a difference between correlation and causation.

well not all med food is healthy

in the med we eat a lot of bread from all kinds this is not so good!
most lembs meet are very fat!
eating to much spicy & hot food is also bad !!

like everything else if you do keep on eating not to much of
anything it is good for you

about herbs this is what i have in garden & use it almost daily
Majorana hortensis
Oregano
Thyme
Coriander
Micromeria fruticosa !!!!!!
or so called "Thyme-Leaved Savory " one hell of herb!!
Common Sage
Cumin seed
Lemongrass
Balm
Peppermint
Rosemary
Dill
Fennel

each one have his special flafor & magic health secret

BatRay said:
Hey if I could find a good man, I'd want to keep him healthy! Problem is finding one:head.
Probably like fish, once caught they go off quickly!:)
efattah said:
In my opinion, all that the above says is that if the man is having sex three times a week, he must have a generally healthy lifestyle. Therefore, it is probably the generally healthy lifestyle which is reducing the risk of heart disease, not the sex itself....
Yeah, I often wonder about some correlations given. For example the supposed health benefits of alcohol & red wine...I am reminded that many of the older folk I know are on medications that prevent them drinking -- so perhaps the meaning is more obvious: sick folk don't drink much booze. :( [Most the old folk I knew in the previous generation did drink well into old age though -- no additional medication for them!].

Mundial, we also grow most of our own herbs now -- so much cheaper & more convenient, as well as fresher & better. This week we have had potatoes, broad (fava) beans, peas and marrow (zucchini) from our garden. Also recently: strawberries (not as prolific this year, with the late winter & current heat wave), black currants, red currants, raspberries, gooseberries & rhubarb. Good eatin'. Now we just need a nice, big, fresh sea bass! Must try & locate some Micromeria fruticosa ("Thyme-Leaved Savory ")!;)

Last edited:
hi MR-X
nice to now all that you can have in the UK ( not a sunny contry)

mention fruits
we have
mandarine
lemon
mango (hugh ones )
grapes
granadine
peach
maraqulla
:)
soon the pics

if you want to taste some i can send you some dry leafs by mail
just send me PM with your adress

eyal

Last edited:
Mr. X said:
Probably like fish, once caught they go off quickly!:)

True, true! Like fish, it's also true that
1. Choicest specimens are the most difficult to find
2. It's important to use proper bait for the proper catch
3. People say there are plenty of 'em in the sea, but.....?

I could go on and on :p.

Back on topic - we're lucky, because we can grow just about anything around here. We have Fay Elberta peaches :inlove, oranges, tangerines, and usually tomatoes and squash at our place. A friend of ours also has apricots, grapes, and blackberries. It's a nice place to live :D.

Reactions: Shadowkiller
BatRay said:
True, true! Like fish, it's also true that
1. Choicest specimens are the most difficult to find
2. It's important to use proper bait for the proper catch
3. People say there are plenty of 'em in the sea, but.....?
...and if you can't find a good one, you might end up getting crabs instead?!:D (I went spearing today but got no fish -- just saw Wrasse, launce & sand eels -- but I did returned with nice, large spider crab).;)

mundial said:
hi MR-X
nice to now all that you can have in the UK ( not a sunny contry)

if you want to taste some i can send you some dry leafs by mail
just send me PM with your adress

eyal
Not a sunny country?!? It was hotter than Eygpt this week. :) We're having a heat wave & drought at the moment -- although the skys did open up for a short but very heavy rain storm this afternoon -- flooding the roads.

Thank you for the kind offer of herbs but I think it might require too much explaining!;)

People are increasingly growing tropical fruit here too (albeit carefully) as it gets hotter -- but we don't have the consistency of weather e.g. after several mild winters, last winter was really quite long & cold. One of our neighbours has an impressive grape vine though -- but it is in a large S. facing convervatory/green house/orangery. Apparently the UK produces a decent sparkling white wine now (officials from the Champagne region of France visited last year and were surprisingly complementary).

We're hoping for some apples & plums this year but the hot weather caused our new apple tree to shed small premature apples - so it remains to be seen if we'll get any. Our neighbour normally provides some cooking apples and we buy eggs from another, when available. "The Good Life"!

Last edited:
Reactions: matrixed82
Or....
Some of 'em look great, but can be deadly if touched
They have no qualms about staring at you fixedly and for long periods of time
They love to take off with their buddies suddenly and without warning

It's been very hot here too. It was 113F here in the valley, and 118F near Santa Cruz. Hot Hot Hot!

Reactions: miles
Regarding the topic of this thread - fish oil - I believe many of you may be interested that there is a recent study indicating that there may be a correlation between the consummation of fish oil and pulmonary edema (related to lung squeeze). Although the research was done on not so big sample of triathlon competitors, if it is real, it is also very likely it concerns freedivers too.

I posted about the study in this thread: http://forums.deeperblue.com/freediving-science/83004-new-study-lung-squeeze.html

Interesting. Mountaineers also need to be wary of pulmonary & cerebral edema/oedema - as a potentially lethal symptom of altitude sickness. The first time I climbed the Grand Teton, which involves a particularly rapid altitude change, I had a terrible splitting headache like none I'd experienced before or since (the hurried walk-in and the late night in the bar the night before didn't help any -- hydrate!). [The next time, we were careful to hydrate, sleep well and had a much more pleasant experience].

A friend had a similar experience when we climbed Mt. Rainier. He was theoretically the fittest (masters level athlete, 3rd or 4th fastest in USA) but the only one that had not had the opportunity to acclimatize. I dare say it gets more serious at Himalayan altitudes.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT