• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

HEALTHY OBSESSION - Bob La Mar

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

island_sands

Erection Supervisor ;)
Supporter
Jan 19, 2001
HEALTHY OBSESSION / Bob La Mar

Bob La Mar

Town: Gualala

Sport: Free-dive spearfishing

Why: Freedive spearfishing is a unique sport that combines the discipline of breath-hold diving with the practice of hunting. For me, it is the ability to be selective that makes underwater hunting so rewarding.

Latest accomplishment in your sport: Hunting the legendary "El Bajo" in Mexico. El Bajo is an underwater seamount that rises to within 50 feet of the surface and is renowned for attracting large pelagic fish. Here I faced the ultimate challenge: staying true to my personal code of honor or shooting the fish of a lifetime. I passed on shooting an endangered marlin only to be rewarded by spearing a trophy amberjack.

Gear you can't live without: Matrix long-blade composite freediving fins (#2 stiffness).

Where you train: The southern Mendocino coast.

Time you get up in the morning: I roll out of bed around 5:30, boot up the computer and check the buoy reports.

Most annoying thing people assume about athletes in your sport: That "spearos" shoot everything they see. Hunting in the ocean on a single breath keeps the chase fair and the choices honorable.

Advice you'd give a rookie: Be aware of your limits and always show restraint.

Know someone hooked on a sport? E-mail healthyobsession@sfchronicle.com.

Abalone Diving Adventures

Bob is a fantastic guide as well as a great person and it shows.
I had a chance to dive on Bob's charter service back in August of this year.
Little did I know that Bob was the real deal, and put our group in an area with a chance for 10" abalone as well as plenty of trophy scallops.
Bob can provide all the dive gear needed, including spearfishing and abalone hunting equipment.
Safety was Bob's biggest concern while we were out, and he kept a close eye on us, the ocean as well as the other boats in the area.
I was very impressed with the quality Fair Chase
Guide service had to offer.
Highly recommended for anyone who wants to enjoy California's North Coast without all the hassles.

The pic is of our catch that day.

Attachments

• Fairchase.jpg
    Fairchase.jpg
    135.6 KB · Views: 135
Reactions: island_sands
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT