• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Heart Rate constant during apnea

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

bboynaki

Jun 13, 2014
Hi guys,

I keep reading here how some people's heart rates drop to below 40 bpm during apnea. For me, my heart rate is around 60 bpm resting and it stays at 60 bpm through all static apnea holds. If anything, it speeds up. My typical O2 table goes up to around 4:00.

Do I even have a dive reflex?

Also, no matter how many years I train cardio, it seems like my resting heart rate does not fall below around 60 bpm, but I know a lot of people on here have resting hear rates of around 30-40 bpm.

Thanks

I've found it possible to drop my heart rate via mediation. I do have a pretty low resting generally speaking, so that probably helps but you could try spending time in it. Focusing on it. I used to be able to focus enough to feel and hear the blood moving around my body. It takes time and it sounds weird, but it could help - especially with lowering it during dives.

You could try a different cardio program - but it might just be that yours isn't going to drop (easily).

Your dive reflex may not active that well on statics. Have you tried it with hangs? Perhaps at around 10m? I find far more comfortable than in shallow water or a pool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a decent cardio thanks to a lot of endurance training from when I was 20 to 25. When I do my CO2 tables as soon as I wake up, my heart rate usually goes down to 38 to 42 BPM (using an optical monitor called the MIO Link). I have yet to measure my HR in the water or after a dive.

My resting heart rate is usually around the low 50s.

Reactions: Robin Lindell
Bboynaki, are these holds dry on full lungs? If so there's no need to worry, under these conditions bradycardia usually doesn't develop, even in well trained freedivers.

Bboynaki, are these holds dry on full lungs? If so there's no need to worry, under these conditions bradycardia usually doesn't develop, even in well trained freedivers.

Yes, dry hold and full lungs. I wonder why this happens...can anyone confirm?

The major stimulus for bradycardia is cooling of the face. Without this stimulus bradycardia can still develop but it's usually weak, especially on full lungs. High intrathoracic pressure impairs venous return to the heart. This results in decreased arterial blood pressure which reflexly increases the heart rate. So during full lung hold there are two opposite stimuli, one causing bradycardia (breath hold itself and at a later stage also hypoxemia) and the other causing tachycardia (drop in blood pressure).

Try a FRC or an empty lung hold and check if it makes a difference. In my case dry full lung static induces no bradycardia at all, no matter how long it is. On empty lung HR drops by ~20%. However, if I hold my breath on moderate inhale with face immersed in cool water (28C) HR drops by more than 50%.

Reactions: Davos
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT