• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

heartrate monitor by freediving

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Does anyone know what the minimum heart rate is in polar monitors?

From somewhere I got in in my head that they don't go under 30 bpm...I'd like one that measures below that.

I think I have a polar b3, and I am fairly sure that it stops reading below 30. When I have taken it diving, it is fine during a static, but on dives below say 5 meters it starts reading 0bpm.

My Timex does go below 30bpm, but I don't know if it is accurate or not because my heart rate is never that low!

Well its hard to know if it is accurate. To know Ud have to go and test it on some medical equipement or have somebody to count the beats... Maybe ill try the latter.

JasonWelbourne said:
I think I have a polar b3, and I am fairly sure that it stops reading below 30. When I have taken it diving, it is fine during a static, but on dives below say 5 meters it starts reading 0bpm.
Jason, is there a chance that the strap is just not tight enough and it loses contact when your ribcage compresses with the depth?

naiad said:
I use a Timex heart rate monitor and it works well enough in the pool. I don't use it often, but it is useful to see what happens to my heart rate during static and dynamic.

Lucia
I also had a Timex HRM : this one (with 50 laps) ; which one did you have ?

I must say that I mainly used it as a 50 lao chronometer and not so much as a HRM...

My feelings are mixed about it...

I had problems with the lightning Indiglo... and I suspected that it was due to water...

I never used the HRM function while swimming or doing apnea iin water...

My main use was implementing static training tables...

Unfortunately (or luckily enough ??) I lost it (or was robbed...)

As a trainer I was in urgent need of a stopwatch with multiple laps to organoize training sessions...

I just bought the Ironman Sleek 100 laps which seems to be a good stopwatch (no more HRM function...)

Another defect of my previous HRM Timex... When registering the heart rates at different lap times, this HRM registered the heart rate AT THE EXACT TIME when I pressed, and did not do an AVERAGING on the interval period...

Giving a bump at this topic.

After some researching, I ended up ordering a suunto t6. The t6 and polar s-810i are the only ones I could find that have beat-per-beat monitoring. I went for the Suunto because it has better connectivity, water proof to 100m (versus 50m on the polar), more memory (beat-per-beat monitoring eats it up quickly) plus some other unimportant crap, like altimeter etc. And it was slightly cheaper too.

At least on paper, it seems the ultimate HRM for freediving out of the choices I could find. Now, let's see how it works in practice...

Just letting you know that sigma sport HRM dont work well in the sea, anyone know of one that would ...:waterwork

Allright, I've had it a few days now so I can give you a small report.

+For normal fitness training, it's pretty cool. By measuring interval between heartbeats it can give you estimates on your breathing rate and oxygen consumption, which I've never seen in another HRM. You just tell it your vital capacity and it tells you how much you use oxygen in training. Propably not 100% accurate, but still a good reference
+It looks reasonably cool (by that I mean not hideus like most polar computers, but it's not exactly pretty). The menus and functions are clear, easy to read blah blah...
+supposedly you can get the HR data transferred wirelessly in real time, so writing own software for different functions should be possible.

-Ok, now here's the thing. The watch is water resistant to -100m. Cool, now what they don't advertise, is that the sensor belt is only to -20m! More specifically, it is mentioned in the manual that "you can swim with it, but not dive". Bah..What's the point of having a -100m water resistant watch if you can't dive with it :) Well, I guess for the mundanes it would never even occur to take it down to such depths.
-Does not work in chlorinated water (I don't know if it is even technically possible). I was able to get a reading by putting it under my wetsuit and keeping the suit relatively dry. Even then I had to bring the watch right next to the belt to get a signal.
-My guess would be that it would not function any better in sea water. Maybe there's small hope for freshwater.

Anyway, great tool for training in land, but offers really nothing for freediving training. That's truly dissapointing. I think I will call them up and see if I can talk to someone technical and ask if there's ever any hope of getting a HRM that works underwater. Signal wise it should not be a problem, they have wireless transmitters in the D9 for example. But isolation of the electrodes in salty water is probably a bigger one...

Here's a graph of an empty lung dive I managed to log...

Attachments

• hr.GIF
    hr.GIF
    11.4 KB · Views: 136
Bumping this up 4 years later.

Are there any new heart rate monitors out there?

The Polar S810i seems to be out of production

The Suunto T6 is now the T6c and there is a new band the "comfort" but still only good to 20m. Anyone have any experience with it does the comfort band stay closer to you in the water?

For Polar, The S810i seems to be out of production, so no offering with beat-to-beat.
the T31 transmiter is good to 100m but the T61 seems to only be good to 30m (by reading the manual for a watch that comes with it)

Timex is also good to 30m according to specs, no beat to beat

None of these three makes Macintosh software, it is all still windows. There are some third party programs that are suppose to work for Mac and/or linux no idea how good they are.

The Casio one can be rained on, but does not recommend it being used in a shower.

Have I missed any devices or anybody had good success with a product?

1) Is it accurate around the 30bpm range?
2) Can you swim with it?
3) What kind of dives have you done with it?
4) What conditions does the accuracy fail

as osusim has already written
in hemmoor was an uwatec test.
they are working on a freediving computer combined with
heartratemonitor.
i also heared the words "o2saturation-measurement", but i am not sure about this.

marc

i tried one of those and the info is very compelling, almost spooky watching your HR drop as you dive. It was too big though and it felt good to put my mosquito back on. as mentioned it is prohibited in AIDA comps too.

I would buy one for rec. diving and spearing if it were a 1/4 of size and price ;)

Attachments

• 42.1m.jpg
    42.1m.jpg
    426.6 KB · Views: 92
  • 42.1mbpm.jpg
    42.1mbpm.jpg
    418.7 KB · Views: 110
Last edited:
I gave to the Uwatec's representative an idea about AIDA rules and what they must implement to have a "official AIDA computer". We will see results later this year ...

i wonder if it would be enough to lift up your wetsuit and show the sensor was not on your chest?

First of all judges and organizers do not have time to check athlete's chests. Second, heartbeat data is very interesting for public especially for record attempts. So, computer should have mechanism to turn off presentation (visual or audio) of heartbeat only, e.g.: for several hours like a no flight mode or lock mode at many dive computers.

Last edited:
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT