• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Heat pads for cold deco stops - do they work?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

maytag

SpinCycleSurvivor
Aug 20, 2006
Hi All,

Hope this finds you all well. Does anyone know if these heat pad devices work well for cold deco scenarios(practically speaking)? For example, "thermo-pad" or "hotsnapz." Many thanks and much appreciation for any thoughts,
(not ArticleBot!!!!)

Last edited:
have used the HotSnaps before, they truely are the cats ass for post- dive warming. Contact IceSelkie & DeepRN for a review on how they work in the water, as I belive they were using them while freediving.

there are some divers in Calgary that were experimenting with electric heating pads running off off canister light batteries, Mossman :: Deep Technical Diving I belive Greg was involved.

your Alpaca still concerns me ;)

I used to have one of those electrical heating pads for one of my drysuits and it was a waste- at least the one I owned. It was made by a company called Rpetative Diver and was the biggest waste of $400 in my life. It had a battery pack that could be mounted inbetween a set of doubles and a thermostat switch that you wore on your waist. I found the heating pad to be too small to keep my whole body warm.

This was 10 years ago and they may have come a long way since then, but I found that investing in a better set of underwear, like C4 or Weezel wear, and adding some argon into the mix was a better use of my money.

I know some rebreather divers who have them in their suits, for multiple hour deco stops, but am not sure which model they went with.

Jon

I have posted on this subject before but cant easily find the link, anyhow on my next dive I intend to try out heat pads.
I find I get very cold during the shoulder mouths & as our locale fishing tackle store sells the pads for £1 each I thought I would slip a couple under my weight belt. The problem is it is dark at 5pm at the moment & the weather has been s..t on the weekends! Of course I will post my experiences when I have something to report.
Interstingly my partner uses a similar product to ease her monthly Lady's problems (well it is a problem for me!) but they cost £5 for 10!!

Thanks for the input! Foxfish, sorry I didn't find your previous thread! Please do post about your experience when you try them out. I hope the water conditions clear up :)

Jon, thanks for posting - good to know the powered pads don't work.

they truely are the cats ass for post- dive warming.
your Alpaca still concerns me ;)

Hey Amphibious, hope you've been keeping well with all those llamas looming about your helicopter pad. Thanks for the post - I have never heard the phrase about kitty bums before! rofl You mean hot snaps are good? (I'm not a cat person and can't think of any redeeming qualities of cat bumsrofl Now, if you'd said alpaca it would be unambiguous that hot snaps get a thumbs up! <just kidding>
icon12.gif
) My little alpaca is freezing out in the zoo but is behaving himself. You can check out a little home video of the doofus here:

[ame="http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-6819069506631747598&pr=goog-sl"]Q-Tip - Google Video[/ame]

Thanks again, all. Will look fwd to hearing the report from Foxfish. Stay warm,

Reactions: Amphibious
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT