• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

WetFish

Jul 25, 2017
Hi Guys,

Just made my account on here.

Myself and a couple of friends are getting into Spearfishing and have recently taken our first basic steps. We have purchased some wetsuits, snorkels, masks, fins etc and been out to test our gear in a swimming pool and on a beach in Kent (Whitstable).

We have yet to purchase buoys, spearguns or weights or attend any formal training.

Be very interested in receiving advice as how best to proceed.

Have been looking at attending a basic freediving course at SSI freediving and are loosely planning to go for a session near Folkestone soon with the other two beginners.

All tips, hints, tricks, safety information, advice and help is welcome and appreciated.

Look forward to hearing.

WetFish

The first time I went out on the water, I did so with a group of experienced freedivers but without taking a class myself. I watched, listened, and no matter how hard I tried I just didn't feel comfortable making it past 20 feet. I took an FII Level 1 course, and every dive since then has been a PB for me. I think the best way to dive safely is to take a course from a professional where they really focus on safety and the techniques in involved in freediving/spearfishing. I think you're making the right choice by taking the class. It was the best way for me and my love the sport has grown so much.

The first time I went out on the water, I did so with a group of experienced freedivers but without taking a class myself. I watched, listened, and no matter how hard I tried I just didn't feel comfortable making it past 20 feet. I took an FII Level 1 course, and every dive since then has been a PB for me. I think the best way to dive safely is to take a course from a professional where they really focus on safety and the techniques in involved in freediving/spearfishing. I think you're making the right choice by taking the class. It was the best way for me and my love the sport has grown so much.

Thanks for getting back to me Amanda :)

It looks like we are going to book the course. £100 for 2 days seemed very reasonable considering it is essentially our safety we are talking about. Although I did have to convince those in our group (this video helped me do that greatly: ).

We are planning on just going off the coast first time, is this advisable or should we look at renting a RIB or something?

Is there any absolute musts that we should be doing before setting out for our first proper session? (these may well be mentioned in our training session)

Will have to let you know how it goes.

Hoping this is the start of long and enjoyable hobby.

WF

I can't speak for anyone but myself, but I don't recommend freediving with a group of inexperienced divers before taking and passing the courses.

Reading about safety protocol is one thing, but what if one of you needs rescue during an in water blackout? Nothing prepares you for that except for practice and conditioning. If a friend dives down further than you can go, how will someone be able to save them? There is a lot to learn before being able to safely dive, so I'd make sure you're comfortable before going out there.

Here is who I learn through. There are a few other agencies out there as well that have similar safety protocol. I'd consider getting certified. Good luck!

http://freedivinginstructors.com/article/187

@Amanda Hand Just a quick one to say thanks for the advice early on to take the course, had our first day today and everyone is suddenly thinking a lot more seriously about the safety element now. Additionally everyone's times dramatically improved; we were messing around in a friend's pool before and all getting about 11secs holding breath under water, by the end of they day today all of us hit circa 2mins which is such a huge improvement it's ridiculous (mine was 2mins 20secs which I was chuffed with). The instructor seemed to think with some further training and practice we might be able to edge into 3mins, which is more than enough for anything I want to do lol (I know some people go for like 7mins or something but forget that).

Got our next day & exams etc next Saturday so looking for to that! :D

@BatRay Thanks so much for the tip off to the regional thread etc, the guys on there have been hugely receptive and helpful.

Best,

WetFish

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT