• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Hello From a complete beginner from Dundee, UK!!

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

lynchburg1235

Sep 14, 2018
Hi everyone!
I am a complete beginner, I have been trying freediving with my brother (we're both in our early 20's) for the last 2 months, but I have made little progress. I started practicing after realizing that I can hold my breath underwater for just over 3.30min (inactively-no swimming, just sitting at the bottom of the pool) and can swim 30m on one breath, which seemed like a lot to me given that I have never really practiced or dived much before. It is something that I have thoroughly enjoyed and I feel like I could get better at this, but I am just unsure of what to do to get better. I am aware of the fact that underwater swimming is pretty dangerous as you are literally cutting out the oxygen intake for long periods of time which can end fatally ;p I'd love some tips and hints on how to stay safe and get better.
Are there any long-term side effects of holding your breath underwater multiple times a day for extended periods of time? What should I be watching out for?

I'm looking forward to hearing back from someone more experienced than myself. Hopefully, I'll start contributing meaningful content to this community sometime soon
Thanks!

That's a really good static for someone with minimal training. Sounds like you're doing something right.

Most experienced divers recommend a freediving course for an optimal beginning. Those start you off right in terms of safety and technique. They are only a few days long, but most people report substantial progress. PFI is one organization that offers these, but there are others as well.

I also recommend browsing the forums, specifically the Beginner Freediving subforum. There is a vast trove of archival information here as well as ongoing discussions. Many of the questions related to getting started have been discussed at length in the past.

Thanks a lot BatRay! I have had a look around and already picked up a few useful tips (and made some progress too, which means it must work i guess).
Unfortunately, I can't really afford much outside of my daily groceries and so on (student life... ) so im afraid I'll have to stick to training with my brother but as soon as I have some disposable income I'll think about a freediving course.

Thank you for your time

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…