• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Hello From a complete beginner from Dundee, UK!!

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

lynchburg1235

Sep 14, 2018
Hi everyone!
I am a complete beginner, I have been trying freediving with my brother (we're both in our early 20's) for the last 2 months, but I have made little progress. I started practicing after realizing that I can hold my breath underwater for just over 3.30min (inactively-no swimming, just sitting at the bottom of the pool) and can swim 30m on one breath, which seemed like a lot to me given that I have never really practiced or dived much before. It is something that I have thoroughly enjoyed and I feel like I could get better at this, but I am just unsure of what to do to get better. I am aware of the fact that underwater swimming is pretty dangerous as you are literally cutting out the oxygen intake for long periods of time which can end fatally ;p I'd love some tips and hints on how to stay safe and get better.
Are there any long-term side effects of holding your breath underwater multiple times a day for extended periods of time? What should I be watching out for?

I'm looking forward to hearing back from someone more experienced than myself. Hopefully, I'll start contributing meaningful content to this community sometime soon :)
Thanks!

That's a really good static for someone with minimal training. Sounds like you're doing something right.

Most experienced divers recommend a freediving course for an optimal beginning. Those start you off right in terms of safety and technique. They are only a few days long, but most people report substantial progress. PFI is one organization that offers these, but there are others as well.

I also recommend browsing the forums, specifically the Beginner Freediving subforum. There is a vast trove of archival information here as well as ongoing discussions. Many of the questions related to getting started have been discussed at length in the past.

Thanks a lot BatRay! I have had a look around and already picked up a few useful tips (and made some progress too, which means it must work i guess).
Unfortunately, I can't really afford much outside of my daily groceries and so on (student life... :( ) so im afraid I'll have to stick to training with my brother but as soon as I have some disposable income I'll think about a freediving course.

Thank you for your time :)

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT