• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Hello from Beijing

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

steveniswhere

Feb 18, 2013
Hi everyone,

Steven here! I'm a swimmer and a SCUBA Open Water certified diver interested in learning more about (and practicing) freediving. A little about me:

I grew up in the water (my mother was a swimming instructor on the weekends, so I learned to swim when I was 3) swimming, boating etc. in Maryland on the Severn River. I was our community's lifeguard/swimming instructor/swim team coach (again on the river... not at a pool) for about 5 years in high school and college. Swimming and the underwater world have always been big parts of my life!

Now living in Beijing, working for a tech startup and getting bogged down by the lifestyle (especially the SMOG!:duh )

I've looked into leaving the city life behind and getting certified as a SCUBA instructor in the past, but then I discovered freediving (and this forum), and I have become hooked on the theory of it all. I was the guy that went and found sunglasses, watches, etc. on the bottom of our river when I was younger, and would swim under water for 3+ minutes quite regularly to show off to friends. But I never realized it was a sport!

So I've joined the community for two main reasons. 1) to learn more about freediving and connect with the community and 2) to learn more about the (I think growing) industry of freediving instruction. Combining my passions for teaching and swimming AND diving is something I'd be very interested in, and seeing as the SCUBA Instructor industry seems quite saturated at this poing, I think freediving could be the answer for me.

Open to any and all advice.

Thanks for reading :)

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT