• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Hello from Calgary !

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

akor

May 22, 2007
Best regards to all from Calgary! I"d like meet local spearos and divers. Have extensive spearfishing experience (mainly freshwater).

Welcome dude! There are a few guys in Cowtown that spear and a few of us North of you in Stabmonton. We have a little forum here called AltaSub. A few of us are headed to the coast next month for a week.

AltaSub looks stagnant or dead - I've tried sign up but nobody response for knocking.

Welcome it great to have more divers in Alberta much less spearfisherman. Where did you hunt and dive before?

Where did you before?

Mainly in Ukraine. (Dnipro River, Black Sea, Azov Sea). Most common catch – European Catfish (Silurus glanis), Walleye (lucioperca lucioperca), Pike (Esox lucius), Ide (Leuciscus idus), Common Carp (Cyprinus carpio), Mullets (Mugilus mugilus, M.cephalus) etc. Working depth: freshwater- up to 15 m, sea - up to 25 m. Use custom made gun with 9mm harpoon, open cell wetsuits: 3mm – Picasso Mimetic, 5mm Cressi Technica, 7mm Plounge plus 3mm Picasso Chicle undervest, Fins: Picasso Black Team with fiberglass blades, Masks: Cressi Superocchio, Sporasub Samourai.
Despite Professional Diver certification (pumped air) and Scuba (3*** CMAS Diver – equal PADI Divemaster) NEVER EVER use that gear for hunting.

Sounds like some interesting diving. You will find our fishing regulations in Alberta very restrictive. Sask. to our east is much better for regulations so hopefully a few of us will be out there this summer.
I will be available for spearfishing/diving in July rather often so if you want to meet halfway between Edmonton and Calgary for some diving let me know.

Although Fishing regulations in Alberta are very restrictive I"ve already got some nice Lake Whitefish, Longnose Suckers and Burbots. Since June 4th I"ll be in Brooks developing aquaponic system project. Hopefully will dive in Newell Lake. It will be great to meet somewhere in July!

Although Fishing regulations in Alberta are very restrictive I"ve already got some nice Lake Whitefish, Longnose Suckers and Burbots. Since June 4th I"ll be in Brooks developing aquaponic system project. Hopefully will dive in Newell Lake. It will be great to meet somewhere in July!

Lake Whitefish are my main target in Alberta. Seems we will get on nicely. Where is Newell Lake? Would you mind telling me the lakes you dove and the conditions you dove in so I may dive them if I am in your area?

Those are all good eating fish! Tell us where you're getting them; we don't get South that often, but will come if there's decent hunting. Usually we go east/north as the lakes get clearer, but as long as I can see a metre in front of the gun I'll hunt.

Tell us where you're getting them. As long as I can see a metre in front of the gun I'll hunt.

I've got them from Bow. The river hunting is more dynamic, although has some requirements to gear and strategy. Usually I use fins with long blades (90cm) and short maneurable pneumatic gun (65cm) with handle in the middle. 1m of visibility or sometimes even less is OK.
Welcome to Bow-fishing!

Last edited:
There a spot you can dive close to the Zoo parking lot. Watch out on the bow as it can get rather congested with boat traffic and gets lots of fly fisherman on the banks. Watch for the fire fighter boats and the wildlife officers boats as they are usually overpowered and will be moving. A dive flag may not be a bad idea.
I love doing river fishing so when I am in Calgary maybe we can do a dive.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT