• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Hello from Fareham, Hants, UK

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Paul M

Aug 16, 2007
Hello to everyone! I'm new in this forum, so I'd like to introduce myself. My name is Paul and I'm 50 years old ***CMAS scuba diver, but I didn't make many dives last 5 years. At this moment I'm mostly interested in spearfishing. I started spearfish in May this year, mostly in the dirty water of the Solent. I need some advices about nice places for spearfishing in Hampshire. I mean, good visibility and presence of nice fish.
Regards,
Paul M

Hi Paul, welcome to db.
I am afraid my English geography is not good but there will be a relative thread somewhere on this site.
When you say spearfishing & mention scuba, do you hunt with tanks?

Hello foxfish!
No, I don't use tank while spearfishing! Although I'm not a good freediver, without tank I can stay in water 5 hours swimming long distances and diving much more then 100 times. By the way, I have a question: is it allowed in UK waters to hunt fish with tanks?
Paul M

Hi Paul,

I'm new to this forum too but have been spearing for a few years now. In answer to your question, no you can't spearfish with tanks on. You aren't far from good spearo territory, try using google earth to find good looking places nearby. Bognor and Selsey aren't that far from you and are both pretty good spots. I only get out about once a week as I live up in Lincolnshire and thie viz is crap in the north sea so have to dive down south.
Regards,

Ben

Hi Paul, welcome aboard! :)
I am going to be in Winchester from September. Last year I tried to find dive buddies near Winchester with no luck. Where do you dive in the Solent?

Lucia

Hi Ben!
But I have seen more than a few divers with tanks and spearguns on the boards of their small boats. So, is it banned by UK law, or not? I don't think, they are carrying spearguns for protection from sharks!
Paul

Hi Lucia!
I usually I dive near to Lee-0n-the-Solent and Hill Head. But the water is vey murky there. A week ago I've been to Bognor Regis and the visibility was much better - 2 - 2,5 meters. Now I decided to buy a small fishing boat or R.I.B. with gps and fishfinder. I hope to get to more interesting sites using the boat. Every buddy will be welkome.
Paul

It is not illegal in the UK to spearfish on Scuba; many do for 'flattie bashing' as it used to be called. Most UK spearos are freedivers but in places lke the USA where very large specimens can be landed, some people choose to use Scuba to hunt. The BSAC are very 'anti' spearfishing and i'm pretty sure they don't advocate spearing on Scuba, so long as you take as many lobsters and crabs etc. as you can :head

Apologies, I always thought it was illegal! Not that i've looked into it that much as never been into scuba. It seems to take away a lot of the skill involved and I reckon most fish would be pretty scared by the bubbles. Paul, I was at Bognor last Monday but the viz looked bad so dived Selsey over low tide, not much about but managed 2 3lb Bass.
Regards,

Ben

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT