• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Hello from Oregon!

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Yeti

Mar 17, 2021
Hey all,
I've been scuba certified for a few years now but only a couple of dives under my belt. I am now with my body and went spearfishing a couple weeks ago and had a good time. I realise that this is something I want to get more into. I've been looking at buying a new wetsuit. Right now I am leading towards the mako 7 mil open cell reef camo. Most of my diving will be in the Northwest.Any knowledge or input on suits And amount of weight would be appreciated. I am 6' 4 about 215 pounds

7mm may be a little on the warm side for year round unless you want a suit for winter diving in temperatures below 50 F for multiple hours or below 40 F for a little over an hour. 10 pounds would be plenty for freediving purposes with 7mm but I tend to be quite a bit off for spearfishing as those type like a bit more weight. At 6'4" and a lean build it may be a little hard to get a suit off the shelf to be long enough yet not baggy in the midsection, be sure to communicate that with Mako, I like their brand but haven't used their wetsuits yet. Will you be spending most of the time in the ocean or freshwater, I do predominantly fresh in northern Idaho?

7mm may be a little on the warm side for year round unless you want a suit for winter diving in temperatures below 50 F for multiple hours or below 40 F for a little over an hour. 10 pounds would be plenty for freediving purposes with 7mm but I tend to be quite a bit off for spearfishing as those type like a bit more weight. At 6'4" and a lean build it may be a little hard to get a suit off the shelf to be long enough yet not baggy in the midsection, be sure to communicate that with Mako, I like their brand but haven't used their wetsuits yet. Will you be spending most of the time in the ocean or freshwater, I do predominantly fresh in northern Idaho?
Thanks for the info. The baggy midsection issue was a concern. I plan on diving mostly saltwater and I handle being cold pretty well. Of course, comfort is key. No sense in spending a bunch of money to be uncomfortable. A friend of mine has a connection that has a lead mold for dive weights so I can likely dial that in pretty easily. I emailed mako a few weeks ago, but maybe need to just call them. I will do some more research.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT