• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Hello from Tallahassee Florida

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

FloridaRGR422

May 20, 2017
I've grown up in Florida and always loved going to the springs. Just yesterday I was at Wakulla Springs near Tallahassee. It's the largest spring head in the world and has a large platform near the edge of the mouth of the spring, about 30 feet high or so. I know the water depth to the rim of the spring is about 50 feet, then 180ish to the bottom.

It's been super clear lately and I had already been twice this week. Spent a few hours snorkeling. I always love that feeling of irrelevance you get when you swim slowly over the edge of a DEEP spring and this one is the deepest.

I had finally learned to dive off the high platform and had been going deeper but was very careful- I had issues with pressure ever since an explosion a few years back overseas. I was sure I could never scuba dive or really get past about 8 feet which is a shame because I spend hours in these beautiful springs all over Florida every week.

Anyways, some guys were trying to touch the ledge and I was very interested in it...I had no idea you could dive that deep so easily. I gave it a try and just had the perfect water entry and before I knew it the ledge was in sight. I glided down and stood on it for a moment over looking this massive blue hole...the water flowing out...amazing.

I was hooked.

I've been researching gear all day, it's time to retire the wal mart mask and snorkel set. I got more than my 40 bucks use out of it over the past 6 months. I want to get a set up with excellent free dive capabilities, but still comfortable for hours of snorkeling/diving/resurfacing because I love to hunt fossils.

I'd love any input, I haven't even looked around this page yet, thought I go ahead and sign up first because I can't wait to get involved!

Reactions: copdoc
Welcome to Deeperblue! You'll find lots of training info and gear recommendations here. I highly recommend that you seek out a professionally-taught freediving course. They are simply unmatched when it comes to teaching proper technique, with an emphasis on safety.

We do have some members in Florida. You can reply to their threads in the Intro and Greets subforum or in the USA/Canada subforum.

Glad you could join us :)

Reactions: BrittanyP
If you’re looking for a great upgrade I recommend the cressi nano. I’ve used hundreds of great masks but this one is the most comfortable in my opinion. Great vision and super low volume. A Bit pricey but give it a look.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT