• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Hello from Vernon B.C. Canada

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

angus-5024

Aug 25, 2020
Hello all, I am looking to getting started in to Spearfishing. I have only hunted pike minnow (formerly known as Squawfish) with a pole spear, but loved it so much that I am looking to invest in all the necessary gear to get more serious into it. Unfortunately there are very few spearos in this area due to few species open to harvest (unlike line fishing). I would like to book a trip in 2022 to a location a little more spearfishing friendly (Hawaii, Bahamas, Australia..)

I am 32, and have 3 boys that love watching spearfishing with me. Hopefully we can be hunting together one day.

I plan to search the forums and glean as much as I can but I am sure I will ask the same things 100's of people have asked before me... I apologize in advance.
If anyone is in B.C or knows of anyone, please let me know! If you know much about getting started in freshwater please give me tips!

I will buying all my gear over the coming winter (I have been using cheap snorkel and fins and a pole spear). I was thinking a 3.5mm hooded wetsuit, short fins, and about a 90-115cm roller gun, and the best goggles I can afford?
I would rather buy mid-high end equipment so I am not buying twice.
I have been looking into the Pathos RSniper. I know it is alot of gun, but I would ratehr buy once-cry once...

Thanks for taking the time to check out my post!

Jordan

Welcome Jordan. There are certainly other members in BC. There is a Buddies area at the top-level of the forum and a USA /Canada section under there, which would be a good place to find others in your area.

Budget for extras like, for your example: weight belt, weights, dive float, float line, spearo dagger, fish stringer, possibly a waterproof LED torch, crab bag. Mask not goggles.

We generally recommend that beginners don't start with a rollergun. It may well spoil your experience. Beginners tend to obsess about power, to the detriment of all other considerations, we all did it!

As a father of 3 boys, be careful. Also you can hand down your beginner speargun(s) to your sons if and when they are ready to follow suite ;)

Last edited:
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT