• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Hello from Warrington, UK- Looking for spearfishing buddy and advise for Wales dives.

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Dw87

Aug 30, 2020
Hello, My names Dave. I'm a complete newbie to spearfishing and diving.
Can't wait to get out there, looking to fish in the Wales area and maybe further. Any advise is supper welcome.

Not sure what more to say really, be nice to get out on the water. If you fancy linking up for spearfishing please get in touch.

Thanks

Hi Dave, I'm in Leeds but have been going to Anglesey all my life as I grew on on the wirral. I've been getting back into spearfishing and looking around the Anglesey, Llyn area, I'm up for some buddying, I'd never claim to be any kind of a mentor, but if you feel self sufficient in the water, a sensible attitude is enough I'd say. Could possibly get a dive in end of this month/Oct before the water starts to get cold...

Reactions: Mr. X
Morning Patrick, that sounds great thank you. Just waiting on my gear. Order was suppose to be here Monday, just finished making 5kg of soft weights. Can't wait to get out before the water goes too cold.
That's solid advise, it'd be great dive with and to learn from you. Thank you.

Been looking at google maps at potential dive sites around a few areas around Anglesey and in the Menai Strait.

Morning Patrick, that sounds great thank you. Just waiting on my gear. Order was suppose to be here Monday, just finished making 5kg of soft weights. Can't wait to get out before the water goes too cold.
That's solid advise, it'd be great dive with and to learn from you. Thank you.

Been looking at google maps at potential dive sites around a few areas around Anglesey and in the Menai Strait.

Hi Dave, great well just keep me posted on gear etc and when you are ready and geared up, we can take it form there. As for places to go, never really been around the Menai, I know people do go there but its very tidal if you go into the strait itself, which is where 'id have thought the fish will be otherwise you're on shallow sandy ground either end of it, i'd be tempted to stay away from there esp for initial dives, simply because of how strong the current can be - and deffo neap tides only i'd have thought. Some spots I know which are good for diving are around Porth Dafarch, (when the swell is down anyway) and cymyran bay just south of Rhosneigr is somewhere I'd like to explore, form an angling point of view its a bass hotspot and its quiet - and the east side by Moelfre area, and Point Lynas - loads of nice looking areas to explore around there, and plenty on the north coast too by the looks of it. sheltered structure away from strong tidal races are the spots I'd bee looking for on google, don't want to be going into gnarly water at least not initially I'd say, and its harder to breathe up in choppy moving water...

Hi Patrick, some good news. Most of my gear turned up, set most of it up. Sadly the wetsuit is too small and has to be returned.
Ordered a new one, should be a good fit. The rest is all good, set up vest plus weight belt, dive computer, float and the fitted line to the speargun.
Then had a practiced resetting shooting line/ reel and bands (safely, no spear was fitted when practicing with the bands).

You're not the first one to say the Menai is a very strong body of water, i agree with you best sticking to quite and more sheltered areas till proficient with fins, breath techniques and movement. Those locations sound great to go.

Reactions: PatrickBannon
Monday should be good for a dive, really excited.
Waiting on fins (shop sent wrong size to me- ordered a 10.5/11, was sent 12/13).
Had a right pain with getting the gear tbh. Looks like should be ok now.
This new wet suit, fits my body (maybe even on the too big side in the body) but is really tight in my neck- uncomfortable to breath slightly. Is there anyway to resolve/ improve this?
I really hate tight fitting clothing/ spaces etc. Is there any other options can look into that would be more comfortable as a long term solution.

Monday should be good for a dive, really excited.
Waiting on fins (shop sent wrong size to me- ordered a 10.5/11, was sent 12/13).
Had a right pain with getting the gear tbh. Looks like should be ok now.
This new wet suit, fits my body (maybe even on the too big side in the body) but is really tight in my neck- uncomfortable to breath slightly. Is there anyway to resolve/ improve this?
I really hate tight fitting clothing/ spaces etc. Is there any other options can look into that would be more comfortable as a long term solution.
Hi Dave, great well I’m good for Monday if you are too - have you got your fins? As for your wetsuit well they can be tight - (what have you got?) and you Might might well feel more comfortable in it once in the water and they do slacken off with a bit of time. We are almost on a spring tide next week so i was thinking we could go to porthdafarch, it’s great there on a low tide and we can dive it as it comes in - low is about 3pm so we could get there for about 11 and Sort kit out etc? I’m assuming you’ve not yet been in the water with your kit?

Hi Dave, what you thinking re next week? Might be easier to drop me a text to communicate - 07826850023...

Hi Patrick, sorry bit late. Hope you had a good weekend?
We just got back. Blooming 3rd set of Fins haven't arrived, was hoping they were with a neighbour's but sadly not.
Monday is a no go, was proper looking forward to getting out. I really sorry, I know you were wanting to get out.

Suit wise, first had a salvimar nat 5.5mm, in large. That was so tight it on neck and torso girlfriend had to pull it off, really was struggling to breath properly.
This one is a Decathlon home brand subsea, large one with plush lining. That is snug/ tight on neck but is ok. Would have been first time in water with the gear.

Hi Dave, no worries, I'm under lockdown anyway.

as for your suit, I'm not sure if a plush lined one is a good purchase, its usually scuba suits which are plush lined an they are way to buoyant for free diving, and not as flexible either - bit odd what you say about the salvilmar, I use a Cressi Apnea and have a big chest, am 6'2 and its a good all round fit, they are about £140/150 depending on where you get it for - they are tight and horrible to wear out of the water - you know you need to lube them up to put them on right? A proper apnea suit, like that Salvimar, will need to be lubricated to get in it properly, or it will stick and not fit properly, because of the open cell lining on them, its frigine, sticky but really warm - I use hair conditioner diluted I water and cover the inside of the suit with it before putting it on, most people I think use this trick. I wonder if this is the issue..?

Hi Patrick how you been? sorry for the late reply. Been back at work and its been all go (plus now super quarantined, worked with a guy who was confirmed covid). Got everything now and all seems good.
Not sure what was going on with the first suit, used conditioner to lube it up first. Was just crazy tight around my neck, really struggled to breath, measured and suit was 2 inch smaller than my neck. Think you are right with the plush lining on this new one, may not be the best but its snuggly and easy to get on hahaha. My terrible plan was, if I really enjoy this, was to get a fitted suit.
Not too worried, just not a fan of tight clothing and being restricted tbh, but we live and adapt lol.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT