• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Hello from Wisconsin, USA

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Pure Spirit

Dec 3, 2005
Hello from Wisconsin.

I have recently (within the last three years) gotten back into diving. I got started with diving for a local police department as part of a search and recovery team back in 1973. After starting again all these years later I discovered that I needed to be retrained since I have not done any diving since the 70's after leaving law enforcement. The equipment has changed considerably since my first dive. I used to use a two stage double hose regulator. Bouancy compensator vests did not exist at that time. All I had was a vest with an oral inflator and a CO2 cartridge. Also all of my dives were cold freshwater dives in Wisconsin. Lakes and rivers. I have since started diving again when vacationing in Mexico on the Mayan Riviera area of Playa Del Carmen.The underwater scenery is much better than it is in a muddy river looking for a dead body. I took a refresher course at the Dressel Divers Dive center located at the resort I was staying at. Since the old PADI registration is now different I decided to take the advanced open water course. I passed easily. It was so much simpler than the course I took back in the 70's.

I really love diving in the Carribean area and will continue diving until I am no longer able to do so. My wife also dives so I am lucky to have a dive partner when ever I go.

I look forward to reading this board and learning more about 21st century diving.

Watch your bottom time,
Rick

Glad to have you here Rick.

I just want to make sure you know that this is mainly a Freediving website, though most of us scuba as well.

What part of the state are you in? I, currently, live in Madison, but get back to Milwaukee quite a bit to work and dive, but mostly work, on my father-in-law's charter/salvage boat- the Lender.

I am always looking for more freediving buddiesw to go out with and winter time doesn't stop us form jumping in a lake.

Jon

Pure Spirit said:
Hello from Wisconsin.

I have recently (within the last three years) gotten back into diving. I got started with diving for a local police department as part of a search and recovery team back in 1973. After starting again all these years later I discovered that I needed to be retrained since I have not done any diving since the 70's after leaving law enforcement. The equipment has changed considerably since my first dive. I used to use a two stage double hose regulator. Bouancy compensator vests did not exist at that time. All I had was a vest with an oral inflator and a CO2 cartridge. Also all of my dives were cold freshwater dives in Wisconsin. Lakes and rivers. I have since started diving again when vacationing in Mexico on the Mayan Riviera area of Playa Del Carmen.The underwater scenery is much better than it is in a muddy river looking for a dead body. I took a refresher course at the Dressel Divers Dive center located at the resort I was staying at. Since the old PADI registration is now different I decided to take the advanced open water course. I passed easily. It was so much simpler than the course I took back in the 70's.

I really love diving in the Carribean area and will continue diving until I am no longer able to do so. My wife also dives so I am lucky to have a dive partner when ever I go.

I look forward to reading this board and learning more about 21st century diving.

Watch your bottom time,
Rick

hi Rick
we have a scuba section and any questions you want to ask, feel free to post them in there, i for one would be happy to give you advice if I can.

There are plenty of Scuba Instructors larking about so post away... would love to hear more about your diving in the 70s....

I am a Wisconsin native, living in the State of Oregon USA, for the past 30 years. I will actually be traveling to Madison in September with my son.

I hear from Wisconsin scuba and freedivers from time to time, so I know there are great places to dive in Wisconsin, especially in the Great Lakes where three fellows I know of, have spent a considerable amount of time in the water. John Chatterton, Richie Kohler and Evan Kovacs filmed many of their best Deep Sea Detectives episodes in L. Michigan and L. Superior and of-course the subject of that History Channel program was mystery shipwrecks.

The Great Lakes are famous for their shipwrecks, many of which are reachable from charter boats in Milwaukee. Often these wrecks have settled at moderate depths. Had I discovered diving in Wisconsin there is no doubt, that's were my interests would lie.

I wish the best to you Pure Spirit, and good luck. It is great to hear after all this time you are finally back in the water.

diver_gent

Last edited:
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT