• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

"Hello!" *Jumps into The Blue......

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

TexasBlue84

Oct 6, 2002
Hi all
I'm new to these boards. (wahoo!) Ive been hanging out on here for the last couple days, and have decided to join. I'm new to diving. In fact, I just signed up for lessons, and got my first equipment yesterday. Ill be starting the lessons in 8 days, which means I have to get cracking on the Open Water Course Book.
I am 17 and I live close to Houston, TX. (Shout out to Lightning Chic!) I know my nickname is kinda corny, but I think it sounds kewl. I just moved here from PA. So, Im liking the weather and being close to the sea.
I think im going to try scuba first, and then may branch off into freediving.

Talk to "Y'all" Soon,
TexasBlue

Reactions: Pekka
Originally posted by TexasBlue84
Hi all
I'm new to these boards. (wahoo!)

And from there to spearfishing ... Thats when you can start shouting Wahoo in earnest ...:D
Welcome

Join the fun!

I like that, Scuba is the training wheels of freediving. :D

All diving is a between the ears thing, its about self control, free diving is all about self control, too far if you ask me. Hay nothing against the sport, do what you want to do and do is as safe as you can, Scuba or free you can end up living with the fish for good if you take your mind off the job.
Its like driving a car, first all you can think of is observation gears clutch and manoeuvre, nothing feels right, you think everyone is better than you, but….. give it time and soon all the mechanics become second nature, the result is freedom and the beauty that is to be found under our seas, o yes try not to spear it all as there will be less to see/ spear next time.
Take it easy to start, all will come with time and practice you will love it, inner space it’s the only place to fly.

Dive safe

My Opinion

"I think im going to try scuba first, and then may branch off into freediving"

I have to disagree. Remember that in the old days, you were *required* to learn to freedive before they would let you learn scuba diving, and there was a very good reason for it at the time. I will clarify that reason.

INSTINCT

- While freediving, if you follow your instincts, you will survive.
- While scuba diving, if you follow your instincts, you will die.

Countless scuba divers have died because they followed their instincts, and instinct has saved the lives of many freedivers.

Here is a typical example. A person who is panicked underwater will have a simple instinct: hold your breath and bolt for the surface. If you follow that instinct, and you are freediving, you will survive; if you follow that instinct, while scuba diving, you will die of several causes: embolism, DCS, etc...

If, while scuba diving, you 'forget' to keep breathing on the ascent, you die. On the other hand, while underwater and holding your breath, your body will make you hold your breath until you reach the surface, so there is no 'logic' or thinking required to keep you alive.

Similarly, if you are scuba diving, and you surpassed your no decompression limit, you now must rely on clear and logical thought to survive the dive, because you cannot just 'go up.' You must think clearly until the dive is over if you want to survive.

While freediving, clear & logical thought is not needed. If you body tells you to go up NOW, you do it, no problem.

If you learn to freedive before you scuba dive, you will be much more comfortable down there. If you scuba dive before learning to freedive, you will be much more likely to panic, give in to your instincts, and die.

I have heard of several cases where scuba divers were trapped (i.e. their hoses or tank caught), while they were at middle depths (i.e. 60 feet). They died because they ran out of air and could not escape. If they had been freedivers, they would have removed their BCD and tank (which were stuck), rested, taken a few full breaths, and then left their gear behind, slowly ascending and exhaling all the way up to the surface. However, because they were not freedivers, they were 100% dependent on their gear, and when their gear failed them, they died.

Eric Fattah
BC, Canada

Hey Texas, Welcome to the boards!

And pay attention when Eric posts. He knows more about Freediving and human physiology than almost anyone else around here.:)

Ditch the bubble blowing before you even get started with it and go for the pure enjoyment that is freediving! But if you do have a scuba dive don't attempt a freedive afterwards. DCS is hazard according to some..

Hello TexasBlue84.

First welcome to these forums. This is great place for getting information about freediving, and spearfishing.

In case that you already have a partner to freedive with, or you are able to find some people who freedive and is willing to help you out, stick with freediving.
But do not start practicing freediving without partner who is able to save you incase of blackout. Feediving in general is fairly safe, but the possibility of accidents is always present. And when accidents do happen, partner may save your life.

Ofcourse i would promote the importance of freediving before scuba, but if you do not have a partner to freedive with, go for the scuba. Scuba diving agencies will provide you the partner to scuba with.

Anyhow, get in to the water. Diving is fabulous, especially freediving.

Tuomo

Reactions: Pekka
So there you have it, too Scuba or free, this is not a class free world, free divers are always the ultimate end to all diving. Its all about freedom and control. Clime a mountain with oxygen, no fxxk that lets do it without and hay lets not wear any clothes either.

Sorry lads, newbys need some were to learn you cannot become Reinholt Messner without knowing something about mountains, you cannot become a free diver without knowing something about the dangers of going underwater ( a long way ) without air.

This maybe a sport but it sure is not a game, if you want to free dive fine someone you can trust, and I mean trust.

Dive safe

Bob.

Surely, first you have to learn how to swim, right? then while doing so, perhaps try a snorkel on.. Ok we are snorkeling now!! Then if you still feel like playing in water the most safe way is to do a little diving.. just touch the bottom of the pool...
I think freediving is the way to get used to the new enviroment, that can and is a great virtue for any (free)diver...
I don't think there is need to define freediving.. it is to enjoy playing in the water. Both scuba and free, are good and support each other.
Is it not part of PADI course to swim some distance with fins and snorkel?? And in freediving they teach you about the Human Physiology.. I don't think there is need to compare these two.
Which ever you choose to practise have fun, but try both just to know what the others are talking about;)
I myself don't even have scuba certification, I have only done couple of try-dives, so you can disregard my opinion, and correct me if I am wrong.:)
Safe diving to you all!!! and have fun TexasBlue!!

Welcome!

I sort of but also don't really agree with Eric's comments. If the scuba training is good, then it becomes an instinct to remove your gear. I may have found this however due to going through the BSAC club system, which means instruction is ongoing and I have plenty of time to get skills stuck in my head through constant pool training/practice. I could see it being very different over say a 1 week course you're paying for at a school however, where your only real practice is when you actually go out for dives once your qualified, and hey, the last thing you want to do in open water is doing drills right?! This to me is a huge great plus for the club-based training system. Once a week I have an hour where all I do is practice skills and emergency drills, with instructors on hand to point out anything they feel needs improvement, and all at no extra cost! Not sure if there is anything along the lines of BSAC in the USA however. The other problem with scuba is nitrogen narcosis, which tends to make you think you'll be able to breathe better if you remove your regulator. Don't believe it when that happens, it's a trick!

Once you're trained up for scuba and are also doing freediving, make sure you remember which bloody one you're doing when you're in the water ;). Liked don't start doing deco on a freedive and just shoot up to the surface with scuba.

But whichever way you go, just enjoy it and have a good time. If/when you do take up freediving, try to find someone you can train with. Means you can buddy up for open water stuff, and provide safety cover for each other when doing dynamics or wet statics in the pool.

Above all, keep safe and have fun, or else we'll come after you.
Matt

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT