• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Hello New to Freediving

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

JPPLAY

Student Spearfisherman
Apr 7, 2005
I am 17 and completely new to free diving and don't live by an Ocean but will be there in the summer. We also got a good lake to practice in that the scuba divers like. I have done competitive swimming for a number of years and have attended provinces. I want to get into the sport of free diving and after looking over this forum it seemed the best.
I will most likely be training myself as I haven't found any free divers in my area yet but I will search. I look forward to any information that you guys and gals can give me to get me started on my way.

Reactions: island_sands
JPPLAY said:
I have done competitive swimming for a number of years and have attended provinces.
I will most likely be training myself as I haven't found any free divers in my area yet but I will search.

Welcome...which province you in? There are a few of us in Canada that would be glad to partner up if your close.
Cheers,
Erik Y.

Hi and welcome JPPLAY. This forum is the absolute very best. Where are you located?

T'sup, JPPLAY

Welcome to Deeperblue, on behalf of everybody here. I'm glad you found an interest in freediving, but more so an interest in Deeperblue.net. This is the best site in the world to get the latest information about freediving, spearfishing, scuba, and some superb recipes to boot. There's almost too much information about training, exercise, equipment, and physiology. There's definitely plenty of personal input on the forums and great photo galleries put up by moderators and members.

I have just a bit of advice to address some of the key points in your post. First, you might want to tell members where you are located...you can do this by adding it to your personal profile, found in your user's control panel, or usercp. This way, others who might live near you are able to give you some connections you might not have known existed. I've met two other people from Dallas, TX so far, and one of them is going with me to take a freediving course in Miami this July.

Secondly, if you are considering training yourself, although I've basically done the same, try to find someone to watch you and make sure that he/she can perform the necessary safety procedures if some unfortunate occurance arises. I got interested in freediving when I was almost your age.

I'm 28 now, and I'm not sure how I made it this far being so careless. It's not a very good feeling to wake up from a short black out with your face still in the water, mouth open about to breath in a lungful of poolwater.

Stick with Deeperblue.net and you'll definitely get the edge on things. Plenty of people, who've already worked figured things out through trial and error, share what all they've learned to try and be of help to others. Good people here at Deeperblue.net, and it's great to have more.

I am located in Edmonton Alberta. Thanks for all the support.

Welcome Jpplay.

I have responded to your message with regards to Edmonton. Hope to meet up with you soon. We are lucky to have Erik Y living in Edmonton as an experienced mentor. So, for being in the prairies, you are in a good place.

Lee

Reactions: Erik
...Wait, I'm confused... are you 17 or 22, or a 22 year old in a 17 year old's body, or the other way arround?

Hi! :) I'm originally from SK, but moved out to BC last fall and have been enjoying the local water ever since (kamloops, 3hrs from the coast). :wave

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT