• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

HELLO there people! (and an unusual question from me!)

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

dook

Jan 5, 2006
hey!

1st of all i must confess i am not a diver in any sense. i do apologise for posting on a very genre specific forum! but i am doing so to ask for help with a project i am working with and it is possibly relevant to some of your professions?

Im basicaly trying to help setup an underwater music show!this must be performed on a stage and requires a large clear tank , big enough to hold 2 people standing up ! (and water obviously :) )

I have spent a long time scouring the internet with no luck whatsoever and finally decided to sign up to forums which might be related in some way to ask for assistance !

so if anybody out there can help me - im in the UK and very much needing to know if companies exist that rent out large clear tanks which might be suitable for this task!

Sorry again if this topic is completly irrelevant and i hope i am not spammin` the boards :)

thank you!

duke

happy new year one and all! :D

Welcome, maybe you'll get some direction here.
My thoughts... 1: Even if you do find a proper container, it will take thousands of lbs of weight to hold it down and secure it. 2:You will need to supply the container with fresh air and vent excess CO2. 3: Being in the UK, you will probably need a huge list of safety features.
Good luck,
Erik Y.

Try contacting EMI. They may (or may not) put you in touch with Pink Floyd Music LTD, they did somthing similar back in the early 70's, a disaster if my memory serves me well

Erik said:
3: Being in the UK, you will probably need a huge list of safety features.
That's true! rofl

I was told by a lifeguard that they are not going to build any more pools more than 2m deep because the lifeguards find it hard to get to the bottom of deeper pools.

Safety madness, in my opinion.

Lucia

Maybe you should contact some aquariums. I work part time at the Two Oceans aquarium in Cape Town and they build some pretty cool tanks with Perspex.
The tanks are generally built with a couple of separate Perspex panes that is glued together.

cheers
Wilhelm

naiad said:
...I was told by a lifeguard that they are not going to build any more pools more than 2m deep because the lifeguards find it hard to get to the bottom of deeper pools...
They already screwed the Olympic target shooters & hunters, might as well nail the free divers next I suppose :(.

The lifeguards at the 2 pools I use seem very nice (and one has allowed me to practice with my weight belt) but none are exactly Baywatch material in terms of size, strength or fitness -- I hope they have great techniques/equipment to make up for it. I really doubt if they would be able to get a large adult (such as myself or my dive partner) off the bottom. I guess we accept that risk (not something I ever thought about until reading about freediving/apnea...risky stuff).

:D thanks very much for the swift replies!!

I have only very limited time on the net right now but will check out all your suggestions later! Very very cool of you all to help me out on this! thank you! i shall report back soon :) much apreciated !

Post your request at some Aquaculture forums. There are lots of tank builders in that industry.

Carlos

i must say thanks again for your help! i am on the way hopefully to building or locating a tank. however i DO have another query, which is more diver-related (i ope!) which is:

for this performance there will be vocals involved (albeit bubbly ones!)

What i am intersted in is some type of air hose that can be affixed to the nose but leaving the mouth free to make noises! Does such a device exist already? Or is there any kind of hose/mask that could be customised to do this? No air tank is required , it would act as a snorkel more than anything.

As for H&S hopefuly this wont be too risky , musicians will be supervised and the tank certainly dosnt need to be over 2 m deep! Although i know the law dosnt see it that way these days!

thanks again for your help people! When this performance comes up i will notify u all - and u are most welcome to come and watch!

and on the heels of that last message, im also interested in getting hold of some kind of airtight clear bag/container to put a digital camera in for underwater filming - do these exist? i had a scour on google but wasnt very succesfull! cheers!

You might be able to take a mask that has a good seal and connect a hose to it, but it won't act as a good snorkel unless the person is close enough to the surface.
I don't know at what point it becomes impossible, but water put quite some pressure on your chest and makes it quite hard to inhale air from the surface, even if the person's lung are at 1m depth you might need something to pressurize the air. Try taking a hose to the pool and see how far down you can go and still breath well enough to create music (always wanted to do that but never had the chance).
There are some special bags for cameras/music players for shallow depth (<5), try doing a search for underwater music players.

EWA Marine is a company that makes "soft" housings for still and video cameras. You can find them available for sale at most photography equipment
retailers. They don't allow for access to advanced controls of today's sophisticated cameras due to being a "zip-loc" bag design. My recommendation would be to go with an aluminum housing if your camera(s)
are broadcast quality in type. These will provide the necessary access for
advanced control of the camera. My personal favorite and the one I use is
Light & Motion based in Monterey, CA.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT